PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

heimedvw

Lurker
Aug 2, 2015
I have been reading and watching some reviews on S/G Cabbie's Mixture and some have noticed a soapy/floral taste detected. Although the majority either didn't notice it, or it was not present in their tin? So the question is, does the mixture intend to have a soap taste or is this tainted batches that have made it into the public? If so I wonder if the company has it narrowed down to a precise proportion date? Looking for your thoughts.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I've been wondering this myself. I was excited to try some when it was released, but soon saw reviews of a soapiness, and so I held off. Good question!

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Definitely in my tin. I didnt notice it at first, but once the tin aired a couple days, it was definite.
It put me off pretty bad, but I can look past it now. It doesn't always shiw its face.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I have not experienced it in any tins I have had nor has anyone I have given tins to, but they were older tins from when it was first released. I will check it again tomorrow. I have been pretty sensitive to soapy or floral notes in tobacco.

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
I wouof call it more floral than soapy. But its a distinct backnote to the Virginia and perique. Seems to appear in the first third or so.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
I haven't noticed a soapy taste, but I notice it is delicious and ordered a couple more tins.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
There is no essence applied to Cabbies. Gawith factory is not a laboratory. Some people let the internet act as a logic gate for their brains. Buy a tin and decide for yourself.
PS Pretty sure the "YTPC" couldn't distinguish perique from burley in a blind taste test.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Have an open tin in my desk drawer and just stuck my nose in it. I don't get any soap/perfume. As it happens, I like the Lakeland scents in moderation so might not be as sensitive as someone "allergic" to them.
Not smoking it at the moment but didn't notice any soapy taste, either. Not at all.
But that's just me.

heimedvw

Lurker
Aug 2, 2015
See what I mean. It's already about 50/50 on ten replies? Let me add this to the question. If you have tried it how many tins have you had of C/M and have they all Had the same consistency?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I stopped buying Gawith Hoggarth blends because even ones not supposed to have Lakeland I found were being contaminated. So far that hasn't been the case for SG for me yet but then again I haven't opened my tin of cabbies mixture yet.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I personally have never experienced "cross contamination," where a blend that was supposed to NOT include a Lakeland essence did, but some have reported that as happening. A trusted Virginia smoker friend of mine did tell me that Cabbie's Mixture does have a slight hint of Lakeland but that it doesn't carry very strongly after the initial light.

Reactions: rushx9

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
It is not a matter of whether it has it or not, it is a matter of interpretation. Some perceive it as a pleasant floral fragrance and taste, as I do, others as a stinky bar of soap. Eye of the beholder.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
0/2 for me.
I kinda wish I hadn't made that comment about YPTC. I just tend to find a lot of folks quick to jump on a bandwagon, that's all.
Anyway, I think SG tends to have a lower level of batch consistency then the Danes, German's and McC's.

I notice that guys who smoke a lot of the Lakeland based blends don't notice the soapiness, except maybe on the ones where the soapiness is overpowering. I smoke quite a bit of Dark Flake unscented, and I will taste it in the first few flakes, very faintly, but then it goes away for me in the rest of the jar, if I keep smoking it at least once a day. But, any length of time beyond that, when I return to it, I have to adjust all over again.
It does shock me that fully grown men are drawn to those particular fragrances. But, it may just be the olfactory memories we associate with those smells. I think of little old country lady with pink soaps in their bathrooms shaped like roses that are merely for decorations, maybe 1950's-60's. Maybe other guys in England associate it to dogfights, new car smells, or men's bathrooms in pool halls. I have no idea.

heimedvw

Lurker
Aug 2, 2015
Also it's not my intent to bad mouth a brand like Samuel Gawith, that I myself enjoy! The reason I'm curious is it sounds like a lot of people have written this mixture off because of the soapy/floral taste. That I'm sure they have only tired the one tin of because of that experience, and might be willing to give it another shot down the road if it happened to be a contamination problem. I will say I have not tried it yet but do have three tins aging in the cellar. Two of the three have the same date but one is a fair bit older than the other two. When I do decide to crack them I might open all three at the same time just to compare the consistency.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Maybe other guys in England associate it to dogfights, new car smells, or men's bathrooms in pool halls. I have no idea.
Perhaps nostalgia. Alot of the floral flavours where used in sweets or candy as you yanks say, rose water is used in Turkish delight and Parma violets are flavoured with violets as just two examples. My great-grandmother used to suck some floral boiled sweet to freshen her breath.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I've been through a half a dozen tins so far and haven't noticed anything floral or soapy. I have some more on the way to me right now and I'm interested to see if it appears in the newer stuff. I'll crack a new tin when it gets to me to find out.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
I buy a fair few loose blends on my travels in the UK and they often have this. I think of it as tasting how a tobacconist shop smells

Status
Not open for further replies.