PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Most of my favoured blends come from both Kendal houses. Not being an aromatic smoker I obviously go for their unflavoured blends and am pretty certain I have never tasted the infamous 'Lakeland Essence' in any of them though I do know what it tastes/smells like as I once tried Ennerdale Flake....never again...bloody nasty stuff!
I have had three tins of Cabbies Mixture and again I never detected anything in there that wasn't supposed to be in there.
I do wonder if with many folks it's just a psychological thing...think Kendal tobacco and therefore think 'Lakeland Essence'.
Just my tuppence worth :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
No, no Lakeland Bomb here.
I love this mixture, Hay and Earthy virginias with a spicy perique undertone. Great Stuff! Buy a tin and a cob and forget about it.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Lets be clear here that we are talking about a Lakeland accent. Some people choose to call it soapy, but then, I don't know the kind of soap they use! 8O But first and foremost, it is a floral kind of scent that all have left a taste in my mouth. But I kind of like it. Any Lakeland so-treated baccies I've tried, hours later I have a sort of lingering floral taste in my mouth.
But there are an infinite number of degrees; you can mix the stuff with other things to get delightful results if you don't want to smoke it straight. But if you are a very strict English smoker, I can see how this might screw up your taste-buds!

There is a guy who hangs with us at The Briary, and he calls all aromatics soapy. I ask him what he means, but I don't think he knows either. "Soapy" means nothing to me, by itself. But, I think that most refer to those pink rose shaped decorative girly soaps that all Southern grandmas had in their bathroom, setting in a pretty bowl on top of a doily covered table. That is what I smell and taste in Lakelands.

When I hear someone say that Prince Albert tastes soapy, I have no idea what they are talking about.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I know its wrong, Cosmic, but I put Lakelands in a class by themselves. They are more about taste than smell. When I think of an aro, I think of cherry or one of the other kinds that puts a pleasant smell in the room for others. A lot of aros smell nice to others but taste rather flat and lifeless to me. Every Lakeland I've tried so far was anything but flat or lifeless in the tobacco department and most even had a pretty fair kick!

I've had a few tasty aromatics also. Not all are the goopy stuff. Condor, Warrior, Virginia Cream, Mango Flakes, there are more. But, when you delve into the good aromatics, there are some that are similar to the lakelands, and then the lines start to blur between Lakelands and the others. The one thing that seems to thread through the lakelands is an always present grandma theme.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Haven't done any Lakeland aromatics intentionally or otherwise, but this thread is also a really interesting discussion of the sense of taste and how it varies, probably both subjectively/psychologically and genetically. We definitely taste things differently. Some polarizing tastes are lamb and liver. Often people have strong polar experiences of attraction and repulsion. Many other flavors fall in this category too -- you love it, you hate it. Burley is that way for many.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I have a few newer tins, going to open one sometime this year. Have heard this before. I have some concern that since SG combined with GH and are producing in the same location that some cross contamination may be evident. I'll post when I come to that crossroad.

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Not meaning to argue the point, but I picked up Cabbies on a whim and after not lurking the forums for a few years.
I bought it because its a vaper. I smoked about three bowls, never read the reviews. After a few bowls, I got hit with the floral taste. It was very light, but definitely on my tongue during the smoke. It went away after a bit, but I have been smoking a pipe for a decade or so. Probably 5 or 6 bowls a day, and I caught the taste.
Maybe its not in all tins, or maybe its hpw my tester perceived something. But for me, its present. Not a negative, just a statement.
And yes, I ordered another ten tins, along with lakeland dark.

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Toob
Lakeland dark is magical to me. Like DFU but better. DF is a magical smoke to me, floral or not, but lakeland is perfection. Never cared for 1792 because of the tonquin, but remove that and bammo.
I enjoy the dark side, and get my nic fix from most of them.

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Jay
Go smoke some condor.
Actually, wait, M79. Or CBG. Just leave my Lakeland Dark alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.