Baku, Azerbaijan
Nice pipe, nice blast. Enjoy it.
By the way, I found an interview of Ryan Alden. Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAgM4yGRIzo

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Nice work jvn ! I remember making that but didn't know if it ever got posted.

Also, I am horrible at interviews, so tend to avoid looking for them :mrgreen:

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
@lonestar, oh you made that interview? I am watching other interviews right now and I am pretty much enjoying them. You know I am not in the States so I cannot attend any pipe shows/meetings/gatherings/etc. When I find a video about a pipe show I truly enjoy it, however I am always surprised as they get only few views.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I had the very great pleasure of buying one of Ryan's pipes, and the even greater pleasure of spending time and having dinner with Ryan at the WCPS in Vegas. The pipe has quickly become a favorite. The fellow who made is is a large hearted soul, gregarious, and smart as a whip.
He's not the next Rad, he's the first Ryan.

Jan 8, 2013
Beautiful pipe! Enjoy the heck out of it! The add for XXX was pretty sweet too. Nice graphics and shape to that deck. Would have been right up my alley back in the day. Speaking of such... I've been on the hunt for an old school SAAB deck with the pirate graphics. Was one of my favorites to skate. Been thinking about getting one of those or an old Hassoi Hammerhead. :D

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
the even greater pleasure of spending time and having dinner with Ryan at the WCPS in Vegas
Sable, that was a highlight of the trip for me. It's always great to meet the personalities we get to know online, and it's even better when they turn out every bit as interesting and entertaining as you figured they would be. I enjoyed it !

May 31, 2012
Indeed jvnshr , I am that guy in the video :lol: I made the pipe that Misterlowercase bought, back when the thread was on topic.
:P

I like this sort of thread,

kinda like getting drunk at the pub!
jvnshr,

Many thanks for finding and posting that video, I hadn't seen it before.
Dig that drawl too!

Sounds like southern the way most the family 'n folks I know talk...
Nice graphics and shape to that deck. Would have been right up my alley back in the day. Speaking of such... I've been on the hunt for an old school SAAB deck with the pirate graphics. Was one of my favorites to skate. Been thinking about getting one of those or an old Hassoi Hammerhead. :D
I used to have a Hammerhead!

Back in the day i would have never guessed that those old decks would be selling for such crazy money in the not-too-distant future,

most of 'em got totally thrashed.
If I had the money I'd get Zorlac John Gibson because I used to ride one of those and it remains a fave, great shaping plus Pushead graphics --- Zorlac was from Texas too, so we're still on topic! :)

2tEO9pc.png
Here's a couple of Staab bootlegs, the "Aims" deck is hilarious, such the obvious rip-off swipe from some very lazy graphic artist... :?

http://skateandannoy.com/blog/2013/07/kevin-staab-bootlegs/
He's not the next Rad, he's the first Ryan.
A most excellent quote.
It be true truth!
In case you missed it, Sable is referencing a thread where by general consensus Ryan had pretty much inherited the throne from Rad:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/who-is-the-next-rad-davis
Sable has got it right,

and in the future there'll be a thread asking:

"who is the next Ryan Alden?"

8)

May 31, 2012
Watching the video again just now,

Ryan is very articulate, and I was somewhat wrong about the drawl, it only shows up when he drops the g's for the most part,

I like how he sez funnelin'... :)

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Okay... Whoa... slow down there cowboy! Let me make certain I understand this. Ryan made a pipe. Once he completed said pipe, you then purchased this "pipe" which Ryan made? Do I have a grasp on this situation? I'd like to comment further on this pipe you speak of, but not until I'm certain I understand this confusing thread title you've utilized ;)

May 31, 2012
Okay... Whoa... slow down there cowboy! Let me make certain I understand this. Ryan made a pipe. Once he completed said pipe, you then purchased this "pipe" which Ryan made? Do I have a grasp on this situation? I'd like to comment further on this pipe you speak of, but not until I'm certain I understand this confusing thread title you've utilized ;)
I am an expert of abstrusity.
8)

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
@lonestar, I have just checked your profile and realized that you are Ryan indeed :) My apologies :oops:
I misunderstood and thought that you were the interviewer not interviewee. By the way, the lovat that you were smoking during the interview is amazing, I am just in love with that one. I can assure you that I will be asking for a similar pipe when my accounts are ready (is that how it is said? I mean when I have enough budget for a new pipe). Of course if you accept :)

May 31, 2012
...here's a few bonus pix that hit the editing room floor, most times I cut stuff that seems redundant, but hey, it's such a beautiful damn pipe and I cannot resist!
38KCH8i.jpg

vFnWFlh.jpg

Hm2Whvj.jpg

JAlp6a3.jpg
CAN YOU SAY R-I-N-G--G-R-A-I-N BOYS AND GIRLS?
:puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
MLC, Great looking pipe, love the blast and the stain. Ryan's stem work is top notch and his pipes smoke incredibly well. Congrats on a great addition to your collection.
sable,
He's not the next Rad, he's the first Ryan
He is the first Ryan but he is also the next Rad. When it come to artisan pipes I don't see anyone making a nicer pipe for the price he charges. That was what Rad was all about. He kept his prices down for years even though he could have charged more.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This was my skateboard back in '75. G&S board as thick as a two-by-four, Gullwing trucks but I had "Bones" wheels. Back then, slalom was the order of the day and 360's. I gave the board to my brother after getting my drivers/motorcycle license. His group built the areas first ramp and started getting air, which at the time was amazing. He still has the board, its in decent shape, I'll have to share this Ebay ad with him!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gordon-and-Smith-skateboard-1970s-1980s-vintage-G-S-wheels-Gullwing-trucks-/261663726855

May 31, 2012
That's awesome Al!!!

70's surfstyle rules --- you had a sweet board, the one you linked to looks brand new, amazingly well preserved.
G&S is a true classic too, everyone wants a vintage "Pine Design" and they always sell for big bucks.
Your brother was ripping if he was getting air, mind blowing stuff and amazing how it all developed.
There were lotsa great riders on the East Coast but we never got much recognition or coverage,

East Coast riders tended to be more hardcore!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Ryan is very articulate, and I was somewhat wrong about the drawl,
I wouldn't read too much into that interview... I get incredibly nervous when I'm on the spot like that. There was a lot of scrambling and rambling going on in my head through the whole thing. It's a wonder anything close to coherent came out at all.
I love a guy who is not going to waste any money on a fancy-shmansy sign.
I shared a table with Bill Walther once and his lovely wife was kind enough to make a sign for each of us. I'm still dragging it along to every show I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.