PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I bought a group of old (20-30 years)tins from a seller on Fleabay. These were listed as no return and several clearly showed some rust in the accompanying picture. However, the ones I was interested in appeared to be in reasonable condition.
No such luck. Several tins had obviously been opened at some point and all were compromised to the point of rust inside the tin and powder dry tobacco.
I have had good luck in the past with rehydrating old tobaccos but I'm wondering about the advisability of trying to resurrect these old relics.
Any thoughts? What does rust add to the flavor of a blend?

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
What do you have to lose? The money is already spent so try to re-hydrate it; I would recommend trying to limit the amount of rust in the tobacco you try to save just to keep the flavor as original as possible.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
What blends are you talking about? You may want to mix the dry stuff with some fresh tobacco that has the same kind of flavor profile. Generally speaking from my experience, "rusty" blends don't smoke that great but, as said, you already paid for it so you might as well give it a shot.
Mike S.

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
If you do not actually have rust powder or flakes in the tobacco itself, try to rehydrate it. Surface rust on the inside of the tin is very different than orange powder mixed with your tobacco. I have unfortunately seen both!

Status
Not open for further replies.