Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that's terrible. Big Ben had a better run back before they moved factories. But, I am not sure Brebbia ever really had a good run (non-expert opinion). I do know that when I have criticized Brebbia's silly sounding company name, that people come out of the woodwork saying they love these pipes. So, they will be missed I am sure.

But, we can only hope that Smokingpipes steps up and buys these companies, to keep them going. Come on Mr. Syke's, we know that you must have at least run the numbers. puf

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. Rumors are tricky, but interesting, a little sad in this case. I like my Big Ben Lectura churchwarden, a nicely turned straight version of a 'warden that turned out to be a scandalous bargain compared to today's prices. I came to Brebbia (shopped but didn't buy) when they'd gone to an odd design pattern of uneven bulging shanks. I didn't understand why they would do that, and since I've seen some Brebbia I'd gladly own if I didn't own similar pipes in other brands. But their closing would surprise me much less, since their marketing, to my eyes, seemed badly askew for years. Those pipes looked like an effort to win ugly pipe contests.

Reactions: Daniele Pipa

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks jay'. That's good news. Failures in the business are over-reported, probably because it is a perilous business, and people somewhat expect bad news. Seems like down-scaling is in order, certainly better than closing down.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Still have yet to get a Brebbia. I almost pulled the trigger on a crazy ass rocciata egg beast with a cap a while ago. It looks like a cross between an Oom Paul and Jabba the Hutt. It was so ugly I almost had to have it. Kind of like people that own Pugs or hairless cats. Or old Caminettos.

Last edited:

Daniele Pipa

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2019
Hmmm. Rumors are tricky, but interesting, a little sad in this case. I like my Big Ben Lectura churchwarden, a nicely turned straight version of a 'warden that turned out to be a scandalous bargain compared to today's prices. I came to Brebbia (shopped but didn't buy) when they'd gone to an odd design pattern of uneven bulging shanks. I didn't understand why they would do that, and since I've seen some Brebbia I'd gladly own if I didn't own similar pipes in other brands. But their closing would surprise me much less, since their marketing, to my eyes, seemed badly askew for years. Those pipes looked like an effort to win ugly pipe contests.
if you mean these pipes, it's because they have two filters

• Wow
Reactions: BROBS and lelik

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I did notice that Esterval's only carries "e-pipes" (shudder) from Brebbia, no real ones. Hope that isn't the future for them. Love my Brebbias - they're cheap and smoke great. I've only come across one stinker.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Still have yet to get a Brebbia. I almost pulled the trigger on a crazy ass rocciata egg beast with a cap a while ago. It looks like a cross between an Oom Paul and Jabba the Hutt. It was so ugly I almost had to have it. Kind of like people that own Pugs or hairless cats. Or old Caminettos.

OK, kid, that'll do on the Caminetto & OomPaloompa. I KNOW you aimed that one at me. };)

I've only got 4 Brebbias, all very different. One's kind of a stylized Lovat, one a craggy Sea-Rock-looking Dublin (REALLY like that one), a smooth fat pot, & I forget the other one at the moment. Good smokes all. :)

I forgot all about my Fat Bob Brebbia.
Image result for brebbia fat bob

It slices, it dices, it makes all of your dreams come true... and now for the low, low price of $%^&... as seen on TV... from Brebbia. Doesn't it sound like a company that makes kitchen gadgets or small time inventions that no one really needs? Despite how good the pipes are, I still think the name of the company is unfortunate... like Ronco, Ontel, Lego, Mattel. Maybe it's just the way the name rolls off my tongue.
Mayube if they just changed their name to Brebbio or just MPB. They were started by a part of the Savinelli family, so they are assuredly good pipes. I just think the name is unfortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.