Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
First off, the RULES are now shown at the top of the forums, so that problem is solved.

FORUM RULES <----- that's the link

Please review the rules no matter how long you've been here.

Here are a few things that I'd like to point out as my personal pet peeves, which I ask you to especially keep in mind.

1. Off topic posts - Please keep threads on topic. Off-topic posts will deleted.

2. Bumping old threads - DON'T. DO. IT.

This morning, I closed a thread from 2017 that was resurrected, and then another from 2013!

3. Capitalization
- Notice the post title has the first letter of each word capitalized. Please do this.

Rules for Capitalization in Titles of Articles - <----- check out this link for more info.

Also, please use proper punctuation in the body text of your post.

All small letters in a post is not only the epitome of laziness, but it will result in one strike against you. Do it two more times, and you're out. I don't care if you're the world renowned brainiac of pipes. Use your shift key.

Thank you.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
"Rules for Capitalization in Titles of Articles"
It notes that articles are not capitalized, as in the above, which is the actual title of the page linked above.

Reactions: leafsmoker

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
That's kind of odd
Indeed, especially for a forum that often deals in historical information. For example, I think the Upshall discussion thread (Link: James Upshall Pipes - a Discussion :: British Pipes - http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/james-upshall-pipes-a-discussion.46520/ ) is one of the most interesting and enlightening threads on the forum. It was first created in 2015, but it's still being updated with new information as recently as this past week. According to the new rules, that thread would now be in its fourth iteration. New readers with an interest would have to hop back from each iteration to follow the discussion from the beginning. That's just needless complexity.

Reactions: oldgeezersmoker

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I mistakenly thought that the zombie threads from long ago were exhumed by management or mods to pump up the conversation. I admit to an over-active imagination. I agree, if a subject is worthwhile, update it and refresh it and do a new original post. If the oldies are available, that's a good archive, but not a current conversation. pilfer, I take your point, but maybe people can visit the archives and then recast the discussion?

Reactions: didimauw and piffyr

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
The fabulous romantic poet e.e. cummings started a craze, first in poetry and then almost everywhere, for exclusive use of lower case. For him, it was his brand and his uniqueness. For the rest of us, it is simply a mistake.

Cormac McCarthy (One of America's best and most unique authors, and a personal fave) does away with a lot of punctuation as well, particularly quotation marks. Surprisingly, his material reads just fine, if not better than most, without them.

Reactions: lawdawg

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I think common sense goes a long way here. I can think of long dead threads that may be worth resurrecting. For example the "Show Off Your....X Pipe" threads if someone has a new acquisition and no-one has posted there in awhile.
Successful writers like e.e. cummings and Cormac McCarthy knew how to use the language properly before going off on their own artistic explorations. If they were posting here I doubt they would write in their unique style because this isn't the place for it.

Reactions: didimauw

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Successful writers like e.e. cummings and Cormac McCarthy knew how to use the language properly before going off on their own artistic explorations. If they were posting here I doubt they would write in their unique style because this isn't the place for it.

Yes, to be clear, I didn't mean to advocate for a lack of punctuation and following the rules here, although I can see how it sounded that way. Simply a fun anecdote regarding some of the best minds in writing and their use of the language.

Reactions: seldom

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
pilfer, I take your point, but maybe people can visit the archives and then recast the discussion?
I just don't see how "recasting" a discussion is in any way better than contributing to the original. For anyone trying to research and learn, it just adds more pieces to the puzzle.

Oct 7, 2016
Indeed, especially for a forum that often deals in historical information. For example, I think the Upshall discussion thread (Link: James Upshall Pipes - a Discussion :: British Pipes - http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/james-upshall-pipes-a-discussion.46520/ ) is one of the most interesting and enlightening threads on the forum. It was first created in 2015, but it's still being updated with new information as recently as this past week. According to the new rules, that thread would now be in its fourth iteration. New readers with an interest would have to hop back from each iteration to follow the discussion from the beginning. That's just needless complexity.
Post of the day. I fail to see any point to the rule, and as someone else noted above, this seems to be contrary to other forums. And, I would add, well accepted past practice here.

Reactions: gervais

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
How off topic is off topic? I mean, if in a thread about what our favorite tobacco is, someone responds asking about where to get that tobacco, and then you end up with several posts about how hard such and such is to find... Then someone asks where you've been the last few months... ::cough cough:: ...asking for a friend. puffy
Precisely, so you understand it completely!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've had a few of my "old" threads resurrected. Sometimes, the new post is really nothing more than a attaboy or +1, but usually they have something good to add. What burns my britches is when someone posts to an old thread, doesn't bother to notice the date of the last post, then rattles on about how it's a dead link to the McClelland sale. You just can't legislate away that sort of behavior. But I think that banning posting to old threads isn't a good idea at all.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I think the old thread "necrobumping" as the kids call it on the interwebs is mostly unintentionally done by new users, and if they realized that they were jumping into a conversation that's been finished for a couple of years already, they would probably not bump the thread.

Cormac McCarthy (One of America's best and most unique authors, and a personal fave) does away with a lot of punctuation as well, particularly quotation marks. Surprisingly, his material reads just fine, if not better than most, without them.

I read "The Road" and I thought that Cormack McCarthy did the minimalist thing even better than Hemingway. I hope this isn't too much of an off-topic post. puffy

Status
Not open for further replies.