Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Well folks, it's time for me to have a slice of humble pie.
After some private discussions, I have to admit that I was over the top on the way I stated the new rule about Proper Capitalization.
As much as I'd like to be perfect, I'm not.
Here is Rule #9, revised with the help of one of our members. I don't know if he wants to be anonymous or credited, so if he does, please feel free to take the credit here, my friend.
--------------------------------

Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
9. In order to maintain the quality of our forum and facilitate communication, it is the policy of PipesMagazine to encourage the use of standard spelling, punctuation and grammar.
Members are requested to proof read their posts before submitting them. Please capitalize words in the thread titles.
You may be contacted by moderators and asked to reword posts that we deem too difficult for many to read. If there are repeated violations that appear to be due only to laziness, you run the risk of having posts deleted or being submitted for moderation before appearing on the forum.
A list of common abbreviations and acronyms may be found at http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/terminology. We can add to this list, but if you use new or obscure acronyms, please GUAH (Give Us A Hint).
British-English spelling standards are acceptable as well as American standards.
Perfect grammar is not required. We are simply encouraging everyone to do their best. Allowances will be made for those for whom English is difficult.
Full Rules are here

buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
I belong to a few hunting beagle forums.You would have a heart attack on they way some of the old boys speak and spell.One guy owns 2000 acres of land and married to a school teacher.He can barely read or right but is one of the most respected breeders of beagles in the United States. Few folks made fun of him because of his spelling and we banned them from the forum.He writes how he speaks.But we do not care.Oh and he also smokes a pipe.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Thanks, Kevin.
I was always taught that if something is worth doing, it is worth doing well.
The original rule only reflected Kevin's desire to do well for PiipesMagazine. His revision shows caring and sensitivity to the members. I appreciate that.
The site may belong to Kevin, but as long as I am a member, I consider it ours. I think the policy as sated only requests what we should all want for what is ours - the best.
Here are some Grammar Rules for anyone interested. (Trust me. You will laugh.)

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Well put Kevin! I totally understand why you implmented the rule and understand why you changed it.

I always thought someday there will be someone who, english is a second language for or someone like me, who suffered with ADHD and did not go to Jr. High or High school. As much as I try to be as perfect as I can, sometimes it's hard because of the ADHD with thoughts all over the place and my issues spelling. Put a spell check in for me. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.