"Rugger Buggers" Declare Yourselves! Please?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
Probably not. If he'd started earlier he'd make a great back but the learning curve would more than likely be too steep for him now.

Jun 14, 2013
I've never been fast enough or competitive enough for rugby but I have a cousin that is pretty famous in European League Rugby so I've followed it most of my life and have played recreationally with him and his mates sometimes.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I thought I'd re-activate his thread to tie it up, but actually I have two announcements:
1. Of greater importance, we do actually have a seven-a-side team:
The forwards (aka 'fatties')

- Prop, pruss

- Hooker, Flakyjakey (I used to be a very aggressive front-rower but my doctors say I'm better adjusted now!)

- Prop, dread (and from the pics he looks a fearsome one)
The backs (aka 'girls)

- Scrum half, rebornbriar

- Lincolnsbark (he used to be a flanker, so he should be/have been pretty quick)

- Auslander (I know he used to be a forward, but only girls sob !! LOL)

- Utility winger/fullback, teufelhund
Manager/choirmaster - jah76

Legal advisor - Peck

Sponsor - Kevin
I reckon we could beat any other side, as long as the average age of its players is 80+ LOL
2. Of much less importance England play Australia in the first of the 'Autumn Internationals' in five hours time. It will be on 'Sky', or its equivalent, so even if you have never played maybe you should look in or stream it - it promises to be a fiercely contested match.

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
Played in Northumberland when I lived there and then again when I lived out in BC. Trained with Cowichan Piggies, who have had a number of players go on to the Canadian National team. Loved playing. Used to play scrum half but then found I was much better as a winger. Wish I hadn't got fat and lazy.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@alex, England 23 Australia 13!!!!!!
PS What team in Northumberland? PM forums may need to start thinking about a 15-man team !! LOL

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Ironically I was reading this while wearing my Ulster Rugby top. I played in high school actually left football for Rugby. Played for Appleby College as a hooker. For those non rugby players I did not put out for money! Lol. Tried to get a Rugby Union together where I live now but haven't found enough guys yet. My 16 son now plays for the high school team.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@piper, It's great that you are keeping it going through your family and that you wear the Ulster shirt with pride!
You might be interested to know that rebornbriar lives in Ulster and that my dad was born and bred in Belfast. I used to play hooker for London Irish RUFC and my brother played hooker for Sale RUFC, with the legendary Fran Cotton as his prop!!!. The 'front row union' is a special union indeed !! LOL

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Ulster_rugby_badge.png

SUFTUM!!!

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@reborn, Qu'est-ce que c'est SUFTUM? shouldn't it be "STUFTUM" as in England vs the Aussies today???

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Click the link - SUFTUM
Ireland play the Aussies in a couple of weeks. Hope for a similar result. Just checked Ulster v Edinburgh at Ravenhill on Friday night and Edinburgh v Ulster on weekend 21 March. Could that be a weekend trip?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I love to watch it... Never played...

From what I understand; it takes leather balls to play Rugby.

:D

I catch the Rugby Sevens whenever I can.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
coming from new zealand, of course i played rugby, i played lock as a teenager, but gave up after a couple of years since after a saturday morning of being bashed around i would be too sore to surf on sunday. The team did not lose a great player when i left ha.

That was my last attempt at a string of team sports, after which i admitted to myself that i just was not competitive enough to care about the scoreboard.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@reborn, yesterday the Aussies were, as you would expect, very dangerous on the attack and their lineouts were good. However they were slower at the breakdown than they used to be and their scrum is still suspect. I think the Ireland game is a close call, but if Ireland go for them them up front (it's the fatties that win the game and the girls that determine by how many points! lol) and get reasonable ball I think/hope they will win. England were nowhere near their best, they have some good young players (especially the new No 8), but they still beat the Aussies.
@Laurence, you certainly do and they get kicked out of shape worryingly easily!! LOL
@mortonbriar, sadly surfing was not an alternative at London Irish RUFC since our pitches were located at Sunbury-on-Thames. Ha ha

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
When I was in the Marine Corps we had a few intramural teams and I played prop and wing. We won our intramural league and then played the base team in a "friendly" and got mauled by the guys who really knew what they were doing. I remember getting a thigh that looked like it may have been attached to Herschel Walker or Bo Jackson right in the jaw when trying to make a tackle. The good Lt came back after scoring to see if I still knew where I was. After an ice cold adult beverage I got back in a got trampled a few more times. At 6'1" and 210 at the time I wasn't the smallest guy out there but those base players were all former college players and knew what they were doing.
I try to grab as many games as possible when on TV.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@yazamitaz, that's great - PM forums is heading from seven-a-side to a full team. We seem to have enough 'fatties' so you will have to be winger; it's usually safer there!! LOL

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Awesome guys sounds like now we just need to find a pitch thats local to us all. Based on current geography I'm thinking somewhere in Maine lol. If we practice once per year subtracting time to sample new tobacco and old whiskey we should be acceptable ruggers in ohhhh I'd say 63 years! Maybe a wheel chair league is in order. My kid is better than I ever was so that might make me a score keeper. Not good looking enough to be a ref.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
<p>@flakey Alan and I have been catching up course would be better if we could all get together over a pint of the black. Going home next summer in July for a couple weeks. It's nice to know i'm not the only pipe smoker left with NI blood!

Status
Not open for further replies.