PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I need a small,light pistol for CC. I have a 1911 and a Walther PPQ M2, both great guns, but not what I want to carry. Anyone have either the Ruger or the Smith, and like or hate them? I don't want to spend big bucks on a Sig 938 or a Kimber, as nice as they are. Also considering the LC9s and the Walther PPS M2.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I have an LC9. I like it quite a lot, it's sharp and easy to conceal. My only complaint is that is has quite an extended trigger pull but overall I'm very happy with it.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I have 2 LC 9s Pros. Like them a lot. Many prefer the Glock 43 and some like the Body Guards. It is nice to have some great options. Just got an XDS 9 mm 3.3" and it works just fine. It is growing on me. For me the LC 9s Pro is right for me. If you like Glocks, you would like the 43. I am not a Glock fan but they do work real good.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Btw, it is not the trigger pull that is the issue with the LC9, it is the reset. The trigger is just fine in terms of "pull."

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I bought a Ruger LCP a while back to carry when I didn't feel like packing around my Springfield 1911.
It was a good little pocket pistol. Never had any issues with it on the range and it fit in my pocket pretty nicely, although the lack of a safety bothered me, but the trigger pull was so heavy it wasn't really a huge concern.
However, I quickly discovered that it was spending most of it's time sitting in the gun cabinet because I wound up carrying my 1911 everyday anyways.
I've carried a 1911 for so long now that I feel naked without it. Plus my practice on the range illustrated that I could draw my 1911 from IWB and get it on target MUCH faster than I could get the Ruger out of my pocket and get a sight picture. Also I'm a BIG believer in the .45 ACP round .... not so much in the .380.
In the end I sold it and continue carrying a 1911 as my "daily carry" to this day. With a little practice, you can conceal a 1911 IWB easily. I'm 5'10 175 lbs and do it every day. Just wear a T shirt 1 size too big or a flannel shirt or other button-up untucked. I leave the bottom button undone for an easier draw.
No experience with the Smith bodyguard.
Just my $.02, YMMV

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I guess I can't help much with this one. I'm such an old iron guy, when you say Bodyguard, I think 5-round snubby. For CC, I always go 1911 in an IWB myself.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
More power to the old school 1911 guys. That is a load to be carrying. But the 1911 has been doing the job well, for over 100 years with no end in sight.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
More power to the old school 1911 guys. That is a load to be carrying
You get used to it pretty quick. I feel "off balance" whenever I don't have it on haha

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Ruger LCP line of pistols are nice and dependable, long trigger pill though, and a bit small for my preference, S&W make great firearms and I have several K and J frame revolvers however I haven't found any S&W autos that I like, (Im a Glock 40 cal man personally), the only exception is the SD40VE, the most Glock like pistol I have come across as far as feel/handeling and trigger pull.
I would recommend looking at S&W SDV 9mm or 40 Cal, and very reasonably priced
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=S%26W+SD
If I didn't EDC my Glock 22 I would a SD40VE

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just bought a LCP Custom, with the upgraded trigger and sights.

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2015/10/gun-review-rugers-new-lcp-custom/#ruger-lcp-custom-1-2
It's taken over a month here in Maryland an I still have to wait 6 days to pick it up. I bought it from my impending son-in-laws WV shop and had it transferred.

(the transferring shop did recommend the Sig Sauer Elite High Performance V-Crown ammo mentioned in the above article and I bought a few boxes, so good advice apparently!)
I haven't fired it yet, but he says his customers that have purchased the Custom like the trigger. My buddy has an LCP that I really liked but he wouldn't sell it to me! He bought it for his lady, she fired it once and said never again. I had no issue and was pretty accurate with it plinking.
I have a Ruger SP101, but to me, it is far too big to carry. I wanted a small, pocket gun.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Jeez, anyone on this forum NOT clank like a Sherman tank when they walk down the street? I'm surprised the FDA even has the balls to mess with pipe tobacco!

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
@aldecaker. LMAO. I was thinking the same thing. As much as I'd like to carry a gun, I'm still relying on my fists,here in little old England.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
Generally carry a Glock 22 but I do own a LCP that I carry a lot as well. It is lightweight and fits nicely in my front pocket. The LCP is not pretty, does not have a sweet trigger and does not hold a ton of ammo, but IT WILL GET SOMEONE OFF OF YOUR ASS! Which is the primary function of a concealed carry weapon in my book.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Simong- Well, there's a lot to be said for tradition! Fists have been doing yeoman duty for millennia now.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"I stay clear of Winchester ammo if possible, extremely dirty gun powder in the last 2 years. Rumors in the gun club I belonged to in NY say Winchester is using Chinese powder. Also my local gun shop agreed with me here in NC."

I reload, and have no problem with Winchester factory ammunition, or not using Winchester factory ammo, but no, they for sure don't use Chinese powder. Hodgdon makes it. I like Alliant powder best, but have some Hodgdon powder and it is as good as anything out there.
"POWDER

learn more

Winchester Powder is now supplied by Hodgdon. For information see the Winchester Smokeless Propellants web site developed by Hodgdon (913) 362-9455."

http://www.winchester.com/PRODUCTS/COMPONENTS/Pages/default.aspx

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Have owned both the Ruger LC9 and the LC9s Pro. Night and day difference between the two. The double action only LC9 had a very heavy and extremely long trigger pull that breaks way late affecting accuracy. The striker fired LC9s has a very crisp and consistent trigger pull and I am able to shoot very accurate and consistent groups with it. It's a great little CCW 9mm. I've found it also isn't real finicky with what ammo you feed it but I carry mine with 115 gr. Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
@Pagan

I live on the Texas Gulf Coast where it is hot and humid most of the year so I wear shorts all of the year and it is much easier to conceal than any of my 1911's, Glocks, Sigs, etc. I can conceal a full size pretty easy since I'm 6'3" and 300 lbs. but it's all about comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.