PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
One minor point of disagreement, though, and this is opinion only. I feel that if you are going to carry a .357 for serious work, you should practice with the rounds you will actually be using.
This is an entirely fair point, and for sure you would not want the first time you fired a .357 to when you were firing for keeps. So some familiarization/practice with .357 would be necessary. But the truth is that firing a .357 out of 15 oz. snubby is really a pretty awful experience. (And I'm a big guy who has shot tens of thousands of rounds a year for decades.) Effective shooting, especially of a small D/A revolver, is a lot about trigger control, and I'm not sure anyone would want to shoot enough .357 rounds to get there. Plus there's cost.
So it's all compromises -- more training/practice that is less realistic versus less that is more.
As a note, to add to my .380 complaint, I find small .380s, which are almost always straight blowback actions, MUCH more unpleasant to shoot than small 9mm pistols that are locked breach actions.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Too much round out of not enough gun is never fun! I cringe at the thought of putting a couple boxes through those stubby "Alaska bush guns" I've seen in .44Mag.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I agree ^. To me you shoot a .357 for stopping power at distance. If you're a LEO then maybe you have a legitimate reason to be shooting at someone 50 ft or more away, or to penetrate a car windshield, but probably not for self-defense. Depends on the regional laws of course. A snubby .357 is what I would consider overkill for a civilian concealed-carry weapon. Also not a big fan of jacketed rounds due to the penetration power...damn things can go right through someone--or even a sheetrock wall--and hit an innocent bystander. Inside of 10-15 ft a .38 snub with regulation hollowpoints is plenty for self-defense unless the criminals in your town wear kevlar.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Well I looked at the Ruger and Smith again last night and have come to the conclusion that they are too small. As much as I like the idea of their size and weight, the fact is I can't handle them very well because of their small size. The LC9s is larger but doesn't fit my hand very well either. A bit worried about the PPS M2 now that dcrguns mentioned some issues. The gun that did fit my hand was a Glock 42, which I had never considered. I have never owned a Glock, but have nothing against them. I'm still hearing conflicting reports about the reliability of the 42, even after all the redesign of parts. Can anyone vouch for the current production of the 42? I figure at this point I may as well look at a 43 too. Thanks for all the input so far and don't be shy about adding more.

puffstone

Lurker
Sep 28, 2016
I own a smith body guard with no laser, it's a great gun and reliable as one could want. I normally carry in a pocket holster with safety off but this isn't a gun I enjoy shooting more than 25 or so rounds at the range with as it's quite snappy. I've managed 500+ rounds with no ftf or issues.
I own a glock 42, great gun and probably 500 or 550 rounds fed through it and reliable after it came back from glock. It was a early run that they needed to work on. but for the size I would revisit buying the 43 for the 9mm power
I also have a few other smaller concealable firearms (g26, lc9, beretta tomcat, keltec p3at, s&w 442) but they all find them self not getting used near as much now that I found a great deal on a newer production Kahr mk9. While a heavier gun being that its full stainless it shoots like a dream. It's well worth the extra $ in my opinion and it may be something you might want to check out too
Good luck with your search

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I used to carry(in car) with permit. I was younger and more volatile and realized having a gun made me more likely to use it. I stopped. Nowadays like Cosmic I try and go where I don't feel a threat. However, I'm beginning to see a greater need.

I've had a .38 Special for years. Revolvers are simple and effective even with fewer rounds. However, I know one day I'll inherit more guns from my father and uncle. So I have no intention on upgrading my own collection.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
It is always interesting to see how people view firearms through their eyes. Many love them and discuss what works and what does not. Others are sure they are the devil's right hand and want nothing to do with them or anything to do with someone who likes firearms. As a person who has had another person shoot at me in anger all I wish to say is this. When your being shot at the only thing that provides any comfort for the shitty situation is I had a weapon, therefore a chance. A chance for survival is all I ever asked for lol. No such thing as a fair fight, put me in the boxing ring with Mike Tyson and to make that a fair fight I should be given a club wrapped in barbed wire.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Someone shooting at you in anger ain't so bad- it's those calm, cool, collected sunzabitches you gotta watch out for! Ah, just kidding. You're right- when the stakes are that high, "fair fight" goes out the window.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
If you don't want to pocket carry & not feel them (LCP or Body Guard), then the size up that I have the fever for is a S&W Shield 45 cal. :puffy:

1911 is my favorite but I have a problem keeping my pants up anyway! & Big gut.

I do have a couple great gun belts! Hate carrying a wallet.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
During the warmer weather I generally carry the LCP, sometimes the LC9 Pro. I've never been one to wear a T-shirt or polo shirt outside my pants, and don't like ankle carry, so pocket carry is about my only option this time of the year.
Once it gets colder, and I can wear jackets, vests, sweaters, or sweatshirts, I opt for my XDS .45 in a cross draw holster. I have some shoulder arthritis so the cross draw works great for me. Besides, I can draw from a seated position much easier. Used to carry a 1911 Officers' model until I got the XDS. The striker fired pistols seem to me to have less muzzle flip due, I think, to the slightly higher top of the grip in relation to the barrel center line.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Well I'm glad I put off this purchase because the new LCP2 turned out to be just the ticket. A few months ago the small size put me off (not to mention the horrible trigger on the LCP), but I found I was much happier with a pocket gun. I haven't been to the range yet but did take it pheasant hunting so I could pop off a dozen rounds. I was amazed at how well it behaved. It was not snappy at all, very pleasant to shoot. I'll start buying defensive loads and get dialed in. Thanks to everyone for their input.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
My S&W SD40VE with trigger and spring mods. It fits nice and with the mods, and a polish job on the internals, I have a 4.5# pull.
20161229_164745_zpsi8e7lhec.jpg

Oh, and just for fun...
20161230_163546_zpsjdsk0mnc.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I only carry 4 days a week. It's up to the "bad guy" to guess.
Okay seriously, I carry a Smith M&P 9 Shield or a H&K VP9. I use premium ammo in each and love them both.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Pipes and guns, you folks have expensive hobbies!
When I lived in the far north of Canada, I used to have a Remington Wingmaster. I thought it was a beautiful machine It put food on my table when I felt like eating meat not butchered in a factory somewhere. It is a bit long to be packing around town though, and socially impolite, where I'm from.
Now that I live in a city, I don't have a gun. I admit, it was fun to blow things up with it once in awhile when I was keeping up practice for hunting, but I guess I never got the gun bug like I did the pipe. I'd shoot some rounds off if given the chance again, but I guess I can take it or leave it now.
I've got mixed feelings about you Yankees and guns, like most of the civilized world, I guess. I always make a point of standing up for Americans when I'm abroad, when they realize I'm not one and then proceed to talk about how crazy all of you nutters are! It's interesting... "Oh, you're not American? You sound like one" "Well, yes, I am, but I'm Canadian American, not U.S. American." And then the conversation invariably turns... Mostly I just do it for the pleasure of being the only guy in the room who says to take it easy on my friends from the South. I take some flack, but generally, I like Americans and even have some in my family. You're not all bad... :) Anyway, I get the idea of the sheer joy of having a canon in your hand that goes boom! I've just never understood the circular reasoning of people needing a gun to be safe. It's uniquely American, and a very interesting topic of our time. I don't want to touch off a debate! I'm just saying it's something I've never been able to wrap my head around, no matter how many times a gun toting yankee has tried to educate me about it. It's a very complicated topic of passion and history.
I spend a good amount of time living in Sao Paulo, Brazil (and visiting many other areas in the south that are a magnitude more dodgy than Detroit). Loads of guns in criminals' hands in south America, but I've never felt threatened by it. I have a lot more comfort in knowing that the average person is not packing heat there. I couldn't imagine the scale of carnage if they were all legally allowed to pack heat. Maybe you have to know some hot blooded Brazilians to understand that sentiment! I live next to one of the most "dangerous" favelas in Sao Paulo and regularly do my shopping there so I can save money on fruit and veg and buy more pipes. It may seem crazy, but I feel a hell of a lot more safe there than when I visit my brother in St. Louis. Hands down. I just feel like the odds are in my favour in the worst of Sao Paulo compared to a big city in the U.S.
I understand the pleasure of shooting a gun, but I have to say, I do feel sad and a bit sorry for people who live in an otherwise mostly civilized country and feel like they need to carry a gun around town to feel safe. It seems like a terrible burden to carry in your daily life. Literally. I guess some of you people grow up with it, but for many outsiders, I think this is the main issue. How terrible it must feel to take such extreme measures in an "advanced" country.
Anyway, to all of you guys packing heat, I certainly don't mean offence. I just hope you have a long and peaceful life.

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
I do feel sad and a bit sorry for people who live in an otherwise mostly civilized country and feel like they need to carry a gun around town to feel safe....How terrible it must feel to take such extreme measures in an "advanced" country.

My wife and I both carry to be prepared for the worst. Likewise, we keep fire extinguishers in the house, garage, and vehicles. Also, we have insurance on our home and vehicles. Yes, we live in a civilized country, but not everyone who lives here is civilized.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Unadoptedlamp, I've carried for about 35 years. I've only pulled my gun once. Didn't discharge it. I hope to never pull the trigger, but I don't carry because I fear, I carry because I'm prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.