PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Not sure if anyone would know the answer, but I will ask anyway. My understanding is that for a product to get a royal warrant, a member of the British Royal Family must use the product exclusively.

Is there not a royal warrant on older Dunhill tins? If so, who was enjoying tins of Nightcap in Buckingham Palace?

158e9cb7d5bd2d9ebd65.jpg

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
There are royal warrants on a lot of awful products. They have horrible taste, but somehow snuck this gem through.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think at one point pipe smoking was seen as the most elevated form of smoking, which of course it is. Quite a few royals, men of course, were seen with pipes, a tradition that faded with the health concerns. I bet Harry chomps a cigar now and then. I'd be dubious any of the other royals smoke pipes or anything. We all know about the former Prince of Wales with the pipe named after him, but that's another story.

Reactions: burleyboy

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I don't know how it works with the British Royal Family, but in Romania it's mostly a marketing thing. Having the Royal Seal on your product means that the Romanian Royal Family endorses the product, and that the particular manufacturer provides for the Royal Family (I am assuming not for free, but that they give them a pretty discount for allowing the manufacturer to market their products bearing the royal family heraldry). Some products are crap, so it's obvioulsy a commercial deal involved there, while other products are traditional Romanian products such as the Biborteni Mineral Water or Kandia chocolate bars .. I for one could care less, I don't feel any more noble for consuming goods bearing the Royal Family "approval".

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Most royal warrants I can vaguely recall are just so damn boring it's almost a fair warning to avoid the product. It reeks of a business deal, as madox points out.

If you look at the three characters who grant them (Queen Elizabeth II, the Duke of Edinburgh, and the Prince of Wales), they don't exactly scream excitement to me.

They have a combined age of 261! Maybe a lot of experience? I'm not sure.

Most 90+ year olds I've met are lucky if they're not pissing on themselves or raving like lunatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.