PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Was bored. Saw old paint brush in drawer. Thought 'Hey, that looks a good size for a tamper'. Cut it to length. Found weird plastic cap thing in shoebox of crap. Made this. Painted then glued washer to base.
I know it looks like one of these modern stealth vape pens.
tumblr_planv6pHoD1vstxhzo1_400.png

tumblr_planv6pHoD1vstxhzo2_400.png

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Pipe smokers are never bored as you yourself have proven.
Very true :)
It could be a tactical tamper. I like that. I raided my workshop/shed earlier, and found many 'things' I plan to adopt into tampers. I may just end up with the world's crappiest pipe tamper collection ever.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can't get over the simplicity and functionality of the pipe nail, but your repurposed paint brush makes the mind spin. Maybe a slender seashell with a gracefully attached tamper head. Auto parts -- maybe some of the old-time turn signal levers shortened. The kitchen utensil and junk drawer brim with possibilities. An old time wooden clothespin with the "legs" sawed off, maybe, especially if someone had wood carving skills to do something with the top end. Some of the heavier paperclips or wire that grade might be twisted into some kind of wire sculpture tamper. Other wild ideas? But the paint brush tamper is realized ... happy tamping.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I can't get over the simplicity and functionality of the pipe nail, but your repurposed paint brush makes the mind spin. Maybe a slender seashell with a gracefully attached tamper head. Auto parts -- maybe some of the old-time turn signal levers shortened. The kitchen utensil and junk drawer brim with possibilities. An old time wooden clothespin with the "legs" sawed off, maybe, especially if someone had wood carving skills to do something with the top end. Some of the heavier paperclips or wire that grade might be twisted into some kind of wire sculpture tamper. Other wild ideas? But the paint brush tamper is realized ... happy tamping.
Love it :D
As you say, we are only limited by our imaginations when it comes to 'things' that die and want to come back as pipe tampers.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
My second DIY tamper.
Cut down piece of aluminium tubing, a plastic top that just happened to fit perfectly, piece of leather. The aerator sits inside and was made from a cut-down awl I used for leather work.
tumblr_plg3y8um8e1w9drs0o2_400.png

tumblr_plg3y8um8e1w9drs0o1_400.png

Oh, and I have washed my hands since I posted pics of my first tamper. It's just that I was spray painting with black during both builds.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I've made a few myself...mostly from branches and twigs I found in the yard...some from turned steel and some from briar.
RqUttDil.jpg

ku6SkMPl.jpg
oCG2YT6l.jpg

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I've made a few myself...mostly from branches and twigs I found in the yard...some from turned steel and some from briar.
A little bit too big for my tastes, but nice all the same :)
Although having said that, I'm not really sure how I'm gauging their size. I'm guessing those are six inch nails?

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Nope, the nails have been cut off to make a 1¼"-1½" scoop or tamper end. Works very well with the nail end rounded off to smooth.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Nope, the nails have been cut off to make a 1¼"-1½" scoop or tamper end. Works very well with the nail end rounded off to smooth.
You know what? I didn't really pay much attention to what they were laid on, and just assumed a bench. I can now see it's a porch rail. In that case, probably not too big.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Thanks, being retired I have lots of time...just had a hurricane come near us...plenty of branches and twigs to work with...make great small gifts to piper friends...those who appreciate small stuff and aren't expecting some work of art.

Status
Not open for further replies.