Rothmans Pipe With Sasieni Patent Number?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
p10109401-600x450.jpg

The other day I picked this off e bay. A Rothmans of Pall Mall with a patent number. i found a Sasieni thread on the forum where the legendary MLC had listed the Sasieni Patents with links.

p10109411-600x450.jpg

p10109431-600x450.jpg

p10109441-600x450.jpg

p1010946-600x450.jpg

All thought gratefully welcome.

owen

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is not the Sasieni patent number typically seen.

On the Sasieni shape chart, the #15 is a bent billiard (the Rugby).

So, I don't think it is Sasieni made. I can't recall seeing a Rothman's pipe here.

But a neat pipe, and should restore nicely.
Here's a Rothmans I'd like to own!
visit-to-canepa-motorsports-in-scotts-valley-california-74.jpg

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Al, that's definitely a Sasieni patent number. So, unless they licensed it out to another maker (never heard of them doing that), the pipe has to be Sasieni-made.
Here's the link to the MLC comment that Owen mentioned (that whole thread is good reading, btw)... http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/sasieni-shape-code#post-743481
... and here are a couple of pages from the patent filing ...
P6Ba69M.jpg

sxfTM3p.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That's the pipe, no doubt about that (the tenon cut sure looked Sasieni).

I guess Rothmans used their own shape codes? Typically seconds had a few digits of the original.

I assume there's no way to definitively date that one? (do we know the range where that Patent number was in use). Guessing pretty early!

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
I assume there's no way to definitively date that one? (do we know the range where that Patent number was in use). Guessing pretty early!

The patent is from 1925, but I can't say how long it was actually used. I'm guessing that it wasn't very long.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yes, it looks like they transitioned through Patent numbers fairly quickly in that area. So late 20's is a pretty good guess, amazing!
Some interesting info on Rothmans, I didn't realize they were that old. Their racing livery/sponsorhip was epic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothmans_International

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Good morning gentlemen. Always like a good Sasieni mystery before my first cup of coffee. I would say it is definitely a Sasieni made pipe, the "stinger" in the OP and Patent number are clearly the same as the documentation shown. My thinking is the pipe dates from 1925 (the patent date) ~ mid 1930's. Sasieni reused - reassigned shape numbers, and we see shape 15 by the ~ mid '30's is the Putney. Because this pipe is clearly not the Putney as shown in the ~ mid '30's catalog, it makes me think it may be earlier. It's probably a shape we know by another number/name, I can think of a couple of candidates, but for that, I do need that cup of coffee! :wink:
putney.png

PS: Al the Porsche is pretty cool, Jacky Ickx and Jochen Mass (those markings I can get!). :)

owen

May 28, 2014
Having given the pipe a little clean and discovering the singer unscrews, I must say it does smoke very dry and the stem is the most amazing soft vulcanite.

owen

May 28, 2014
Not sure if this helps or hinders the debate about the Sasieni pipe in the other thread.

I tried but couldn't manage a link

Status
Not open for further replies.