PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Hi,how would you think if it advisable new smoker to rotate, say between two various blends during the week(for instance keeping open a tin of English mixture and Virgina flake) or may it be better to finish one tin and only then go and crak open another type of a blend.Thank you for your thoughs.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It's up to you. I think most people have more than one blend available to them at any given time.

May 4, 2015
I have 32 open.
Many smokers adhere to a "rotation" where they have a basic schedule of what they smoke. When I feel like I having a smoke, I stare at my jars for a while toiling over what MIGHT be the perfect smoke for that moment, opening jars and smelling... Once I've chosen a tobacco, I choose a pipe.
I like having the options open to me, and properly jarred tobaccos will keep indefinitely, so open whatever you want so long as you store it properly!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The pipe should be an enjoyable experience. I like the freedom of doing what I feel like, smoking what I feel like, when I feel like it. Too much regimentation would make the pipe seem like work. Some seem to like a lot of rules, perhaps it's a matter of not liking to make decisions, simply following some artificial set of rules. Such would sap all of the enjoyment from the experience for me. But, too each his own. I think how a person smokes a pipe has more to do with one's personality. Do what you like!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Hi, Pipesmokingtom, unbelievable 32 open , but yes, maybe is better to keep 2 open at least in order to avoid to be bored which may happen if one keeps smoking one type of the mixture whole week or longer.I have that Tight vac container for mixtures whereas flake tobaccos I usually do keep in their original tins or puches well wrapped,

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I rotate among 4-5 blends, sometimes blending the blends.....
As several have said, there's no right nor wrong way. Whatever is comfortable to you.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have probably 30 blends in 60 4oz mason jars. At one or two bowls a day it can take me a while to get through a tin.
And I like to mix it up, so I want it as fresh as possible. When I empty a jar I wash it and put it aside for the next new tin I open.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I mix it up. Haunted Bookshop is a main go to. I find starting the day with Lat. blends tend to be a little to much for me. I work up to a Lat. blend if it's in the rotation that day. C&D Buffalo Soldier is my favorite Latakia mixture, by the time I smoke it, it's has the perfect flavor for the end of a summer day. In the winter, I start with Buffalo Soldier and work up to something like Gaslight, Nightcap, or MM 965.
It's all about you and your taste. Enjoy!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
All right,Very interesting,as to me,think rotating between 2-4 no aromatic different blends will fit me nicely,although just not long ago tried me an Aromatic Danske Black Vanilla flake,and discovered the natural tobacco aroma being fainted by vanilla

then gave it away to a buddy.Over the years I find Va and Va Per flakes and light english mixtures suit best for me,yet I should go thorough some orientals such as Presbyterian mix and VAburl such as US made CarterHall tobacco.there are tons to try out there.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I rarely smoke the same blend twice in a row, and rarely smoke the same pipe twice in a row, for that matter. Variety is the spice of my pipe-smoking life, so I can pretty well echo pipesmokingtom's reply. I think I only have about 20 blends in active rotation, though, and often have to fight the urge to open new tins.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Forums people are a special breed and nearly all of us enjoy a wide variety of blends from time to time, and those we smoke regularly constitute our rotation, but this changes continuously over time for most of us. Between the blends and single leaf tobacco I've bought for myself, those that have been gifted to me by family and friends, and samples and whole tins sent me by Forums members, I have a wide selection of tinned and jarred tobacco. Some of the unopened tins have been with me for years, while I sampled and enjoyed the many that are opened. However, many old guard pipe smokers have one or two favorite blends they smoke, often over-the-counter blends like Carter Hall or Prince Albert, but sometimes more specialized blends. My dad smoked a pipe almost all day for decades, never anything but Granger. Others smoke a few blends, but only those. One of the premier tobacco blenders, who is also a Forums member, informed us that 95-plus % of all pipe tobacco purchases are aromatics, so that is also worth remembering. Here on Forums, I would say about half the members smoke mostly non-aromatic.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Hi Dear Mso489 and thank you for your detailed answer, didn't imagine that so high a percent of pipesmokers in US are preferring aromatics, as to me,most always when I'm trying them(aros)I do find them boring and with lesser character than no-aros.While now when i'm trying to lead to minimum my 30+ cigarette(Ryo)habit and switching to pipes, I think I will go like these old guard pipers just sticking with basics and keeping rotating between 2-3 blends at a time.Today I'm into Virginia+ virginia perique flakes- like to have me some challenge+ it is summer-good time for pure virginias, next up, I'll have to try some Prince Albert and Carter Hall the U.S all time favorites, as far as I know,these two onesare burley based blends and possede good burning qualities, although in past I had me a pouch of H&H and didn't find mind it finding it had something a chewingtobacco like taste in it ,but thats another matter,it was Nice to chat,have a Nice sunday day coming,

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I like the way you're headed. I think that a basic understanding of pipe smoking with one blend is the first step to success.
I think I will go like these old guard pipers just sticking with basics and keeping rotating between 2-3 blends at a time.

I was also a RYO guy for many years. I too found 1/2 and 1/2 a tad bit overtopped.

I went through most of the codger blends and found that they all became reliable and tasty once 'learned'.

I admit to trying other tobacco blends too, but as a former cig smoker, my bowl frequency was driven by a nicotine addiction that I learned to tame with proper (membrane assimilation rather than inhalation) pipe smoking technique.

SWR, CH and PA are solid performers.

Happy Pipe smoking and welcome to the forums!

Mike

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Go for what you feel like at the moment, or what you have the most of... :D

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thank you Gentlemen for your thoughts I will keep it simple-funny thing, in Ryo cigarettes I only smoke but kentucky dark fired

whereeas when it comes to pipes,obviously cant handle these types nor do want a strong latakia mixtures,much too pungent in flavor and too high in nicotine(Dunhills)for my likings,the Red Man all american Chewing had the same effect on me-

all right Y'all have a Nice Sunday day there in the States,Paul

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The fact is a lot of blends taste extremely similar to each other. Some people get some kind of kick out of being connosieurs, others like me don't. I have one English, one VA-Per and one kind-of aro. They are all vastly different in taste, so it's easy for me to pick which one to smoke. It's like salad, meat and dessert, you know which one you want when. Sometimes having too many choices can be intimidating.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
Wow, 32 open! That's amazing. I can't even fathom having 5 different tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.