PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
What is the general consensus on Rossi pipes? And are they an offshoot of Savinelli? I just ordered a prince from them.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Looks like they are a Savinelli lower priced line. Some wonderful pipes, but it varies between line and model. Still, you can find some great ones.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've got one Rossi that I won for the cartoon caption contest, and it's a great smoking pipe. Most of Savinelli's basic shapes are found in the Rossi line including the 320ks. One additional bonus, at least for me, is that most of them come without the filter.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I have two and they are both great smokers.
Napoli and Rubino:
img_20150204_150936-600x513.jpg

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Looks like they are a Savinelli lower priced line.

I thought the Rossi pipe factory was where they make the Italian basket pipes and other labels like Brigham and Stanwell. I don't really know but I imagined it was a large operation or it was at one time. 8O

Mar 1, 2014
Most of the Rossi shapes have matching pipes under the Savinelli brand, 99% of them are probably Savinelli rejects.
That said, they can be a great value, I did have a small issue with the one Rossi that I bought but I wouldn't hesitate to buy more.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Both Rossi's that I've purchased have smoked hot and wet. Simple solution to bevel the tenon a drill a wider air draft 5/32 or 11/64.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Except for some early experimentation, all my pipes are Savinelli and Rossi.
Savinelli was the first pipe I found that smoked the way I liked, so I just stuck with them. When I heard Rossi was made by Savinelli, I bought one, and liked it as well. So I bought more.
I'm not a huge collector. I have four of each (I think. It might be three Savs and five Rossi) and they all smoke exactly the same, allowing for the different shapes and sizes. I really can't tell a difference, so I'm gonna say if you like Savinelli, you'll probably like Rossi.
But... All but one of my Rossi pipes have minor but visible cosmetic imperfections. I've generally bought them on sale, so I don't mind, but I imagine Frozen is correct in that they are Savinelli rejects.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bought a Rossi Vittoria prince, and it's good. The Savinelli line provides the shapes. As noted in an earlier post, you don't have to bother with adapters, since many Rossi come without filters, but be sure to note what you're ordering. My prince is a KS (large bowl) pipe and provides a nice format for multi-leaf blends.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Rossi (Nino Rossi) pipes have been around for a long time and you can read the history on Pipedia, the company was acquired by Savinelli in the mid 80's and those are the more available ones you find these days. I have a 90 model an an older Rossi from the 50's and they both smoke great

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
All but one of my Rossi pipes have minor but visible cosmetic imperfections. I've generally bought them on sale, so I don't mind, but I imagine Frozen is correct in that they are Savinelli rejects.
This is my perception as well. Since I am not aesthetically pleasing, I do not demand that my pipes be that way either.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I don't have many pipes. Two Petersons, 5 Grabows, a Stanwell, cobs and my Rossi. My Rossi has become my favorite pipe. The finish is coming off on the rim of the bowl, but it will become covered in lava soon anyways.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The early Sav style Rossi's seen at a pipe show were a little rough on the finish and stamping, but I think they've spruced them up. I'm attracted to the Rossi versions of the Sav 404 yacht/zulu since they have the shape but no filters, although some Sav's come without a filter, but cost a little more. I just have more than a sufficient number of pipes, and a Sav unfinished 404 from eons ago that still smokes very well. Just in terms of shaping, I like it better than most all of the English and French zulus, although many of those are good designs.

stoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
my rossi is a great smoker. took a dozen or maybe more bowls to break it in but from then on its been excellent.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
I have a Rossi. It's the cheapest author I own, and works as intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.