PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I recently purchased a 2 tins of tobacco: Grey Havens and Christmas Cheer 2013, and for the most part enjoy them both. However, my wife HATES the room note on the Christmas Cheer. I'm still very new to this and don't think I've found my 'forever' tobacco just yet... Any tips on what to try next? I'm looking for non aromatics, and A guy at my local shop suggests Frog Morton's Cellar, but I usually get two tins at a time, so any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks Guys!

-Lou

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
As VA's go room note is tough because while it tastes sweet to you it doesnt smell like anything other than cigerettes to her. Mclellends Deep Hollow is a Red VA with black cavandish and my wife doesnt mind it in the house.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never gotten a strong affirmative vote for the room note of any non-aromatic tobacco. It seems to

come with the territory that non-aros put off a strong tobacco fragrance (or smell, depending on your

perspective) that isn't pleasing to non-pipe-smokers. A pleasant aromatic that still has interesting

tobacco flavor (to my mind) is Altadis "Queen Anne's Revenge," which is burley, Virginia, Cavendish

(probably made with burley) flavored with rum, but in a low-key way. I smoke this with other aros in

rotation with my English and my other non-aromatic tobaccos. In case you are wondering,

"Queen Anne's Revenge" was the pirate Blackbeard's flagship, hence the rum reference, since pirates

are often associated with drinking rum. The actual ship has been discovered and is being recovered

from sheltered waters in North Carolina. Positive identification is a slow process, but this looks like

the correct ship, probably scuttled by its captain for some reason.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I assume you saw the frog post in the general section. its recent and not to far down the list. Also www.smokingpipes.com has pretty good reviews of tined and bulk tobacco, to include flavor, room note, bite ... ext.
I think the frog is by mac baren, but probably wrong. I can't afford to many tins, but those are on my eventual list as well.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
mso489 .. Im on the back side of the outer banks. Pirates are a big thing in these parts. I always found it funny though. If they were alive they would probably rob you and kill you. since there dead and harmless they are infamous.

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
mso489-
so you smoke the queen annes in the same pipe as non aros? and I've read people describe Grey Havens as both Aro and Non Aro so I've been smoking it in my higher end pipe that I use for my english bulk blend I have, would the same hold true for the Frog Mortons Cellar and Queen annes revenge? or will they need their own pipe? sorry for all the questions!
-Lou

micdabutcher

Might Stick Around
Jun 20, 2013
Australia
I was smoking some of Rich Gottlieb's(?)-4Noggins- Britts Balkan last night and was surprised when my wife and son said they liked the smell because it reminded them of roasting peanuts. Weird huh?
Mic

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I smoke in the house. So I take my room note feedback from Mrs Perique. Here are the blends she enjoys and the ones I smoke when she's around:
EDIT: I read right past the part about about you wanting non-aromatics. Damn. So below is my aro list. Then I've added my non-aro list.
- Gatlinburlier's Mountain Mall Mix. I probably get more compliments on this room note than any other blend. Only available from the Gatlinburlier in Gatlinburg TN. They have a website.
- Battleground. Originally blended by 310 Pipes and Tobacco. Now available from The Humidor in Murfreesboro, TN. Wife loves this one. And so do I. A really unique blend.
- Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake. IMHO the best mass produced aromatic.
- Savinelli Cavendish. An excellent and underrated aromatic with an excellent & moderately applied sugared honey flavor and room note.
- Pipeworks & Wilke No. 191. Wife's feedback: "Can I eat that?"
- McClelland's Holiday Spirit editions. Various vintages.
- C&D Autumn Evening (if your audience likes maple -- and I mean MAPLE).
Non-Aros with good room notes:
- Orlik Golden Sliced

- Erinmore Flake

- Peterson University Flake

- Two Friends English Chocolate

- Rattray's Marlin Flake

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
ithelouniverse wrote:

recently purchased a 2 tins of tobacco: Grey Havens and Christmas Cheer 2013, and for the most part enjoy them both. However, my wife HATES the room note on the Christmas Cheer. I'm still very new to this and don't think I've found my 'forever' tobacco just yet... Any tips on what to try next? I'm looking for non aromatics, and A guy at my local shop suggests Frog Morton's Cellar, but I usually get two tins at a time, so any advice would be appreciated!

I’m assuming that ‘Christmas Cheer’ is an aero from its name. If your wife doesn’t like the room note on that I seriously doubt that she will care for the room note of ‘Frog Morton Cellar’, or for that matter, any of the “Frog Morton’ blends. I couldn’t stand the smell of it (the tobacco itself); much less smoke it albeit I never really paid that much attention as to its room note considering my strong dislike for it. Then again, I’m somewhat new to pipe smoking after not having done so after 35 years so my taste is not the same as many others and I’ve not yet acquired a taste for Latakia tobacco. I’m quite sure that there are a plethora of non aromatics that would be quite pleasing in a room note (aside from pleasing yourself of course), and that you will get plenty of feedback and suggestions from others here as this site, and its members, are more than willing to give help in any way. ;)

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
- Pipeworks & Wilke No. 191. Wife's feedback: "Can I eat that?"

A definite YES on the Wilke No. 191 I think my granddaughter would like to take a spoonful of that smell if she possibly could, as well as my daughter. Then again, that is an aromatic, and not what you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.