PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I have been hesitant on posting this for a week or more, but here goes. Lately I've noticed a muted flavor of tobaccos I smoke unless I involve forcing smoke to the roof of my mouth. It appears to me if I don't Everything tastes bland whatever the blend or tobacco . Is this a normal event for others? I don't know if it was the years of cigarettes or what but lately if I roll the tobacco all around my mouth the flavor intensifies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Everyone's sense of taste is different. I get a different flavor if I "french inhale" too. I'll do this several times during a smoke. Our sense of smell has a lot to do with our sense of taste.
The cigs will definitely truncate your sense of taste. After I quit the nails, I found I had been overspicing my food and mixing my drinks way too strong. I also began to notice the salt content of food a lot more after quitting. None of these things had happened while smoking a pipe.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
What you're actually doing is pushing smoke into your sinus cavity, which is lined with both olfactory receptor neurons and taste buds. Don't worry, it's normal.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I never smoked one Myself but from what I under stand You need a P-lip stem.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
romeowood has it. It's a term cigar smokers coined as the 'retrohale'. The French inhale does something similar, by getting smoke into the back of the nasal sinus.
If you were to retrohale in front of a mirror you'll see smoke exhale through your nostrils. This technique doesn't involve bringing smoke into your lungs, if done correctly.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Good to know it's normal. I don't exhale smoke through my nostrils though. It still exits the mouth. I'm just glad it's probably not a sign of inhaling into the lungs. I inhaled pipe smoke on purpose to see if it felt like I was. The sensation was totally different.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That's why I love to smoke my p-lip Peterson pipes. Brings the smoke to the roof of the mouth and when I let it linger there for a second or two the flavour comes out clearer like you said. As romeowood mentioned it's totally normal. You definitely might want to look into trying the Peterson P-Lip pipes. My suggestion would be to look into the Aran series to start out with and see if you like it or not. They're a line that's around $65, so they're pretty affordable, especially to findout if you like the P-Lip or not as it's completely a love hate relationship with pipe smokers.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Quick question on the p-lips. Can you still use a softy bit on them? I clench and would find it fairly difficult to change habits. I feel like Michael in GF III, I just get settled with pipes and you guys bring me back in. Oh well, pipe smoking and monogamy don't always mesh.(speaking only of the relationship with pipes).

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
You can use a softy, but the P-Lip is a considerably more large between the teeth than your standard fishtail bit.
And just to throw my two-cents into the hat, as I own several myself, I've never felt the P-Lip increases my ability to sniff out a smoke's flavor. Besides, all smoke rises, even inside your mouth. Just my experience, though.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I think what he's doing is just pressing the smoke onto his tongue. I've done all the Retrohaling, I've heard it called "Snorking", and all that but when you put your tongue to the roof of your mouth it lets you taste the smoke a bit better than just the smoke wafting over your tongue. Just because I put my tongue to the top of my mouth doesn't mean i'm forcing any smoke through my nasal cavities.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
With all due respect to all of the above, I think you need to "reset/rest" your palate.

I recommend that you smoke a mild aromatic for a week or two then go back to the so-called "good stuff".

Buy yourself a pound of 1Q and relax. After a week or two, you will be ready to fire up that bowl of your favorite.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
lol Always with the 1Q reccomendations. You sir are PERSISTENT! Guess I need to try the stuff.....

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Just bought 4oz of 1Q to try it out. By the slim chance I don't like it I'll post something and send it off to ppl that have not tried it before. Peace
PipesandCigars.jpg

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
LOL!

I think you will be pleasantly surprised... But, don't expect it to knock your socks off...

It's mild and mellow, easy on the palate...
Shhhhh... Don't tell anyone, but the ladies love the aroma... :D

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions..I've plenty of PA. I will however add a sample of 1 q to my next tad. Just because Lawrence does excellent pr for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.