PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mick92

Lurker
Aug 26, 2019
Hey all,
smoking out of a Crown 733 Stromboli briar pipe.
This morning after taking my pipe out of its pouch I noticed fine white-silver strands in the bowl - they stuck to the cake in an unsightly manner. Assuming this was a result of the pipe cleaners I'm using.
Any tips on how I can avoid this problem in the future? Can or should I clean the cake out? I'd ream the bowl but the cake is still too thin as it's a new pipe, however this bowl was carbonised at the factory.
Thanks a tonne,
Mick

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
If I get excess fuzz from my pipe cleaners, that won't come out with a swipe of the finger, I turn the bowl upside down and burn them.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
When I open a new pack of pipe cleaners I grab all of them in a bundle and knock them against my hand, one end at a time, to get as much loose fuzzys to come off as possible.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A hot water flush down the chamber and out the stem immediately after a smoke not only cleans out ash and tars that haven't solidified, it solves the problem of the pipe cleaner detritus. When it dries, then a single push up the airway is all you need. It also seems to harden the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.