May 31, 2012
voMN9g5.jpg

xaol5UD.jpg

inUaSNO.jpg

7DjnXOH.jpg

yADFJxf.jpg

6QX88II.jpg

nWZDuqm.jpg

The Robert Sinclair Tobacco Company never produced one of the famous blends that still live on in legend, so they're relatively obscure, yet they played a fairly major role --- which was their huge success with distribution, especially in Northern England and Scotland, so much so that Imperial bought 'em out.
Although this is all rather useless information here, I thought I'd share it as I'm going through all the different players in the olde UK tobacco industry and this fits into that frame to help sort out the complex interconnections involved.
So,

in 1855 Robert Sinclair , who had come from the Orkneys, opened a small tobacconist shop in Dean Street, Newcastle. In that rapidly growing industrial city the business prospered and Robert, along with his brother John, moved to a larger premises in Nun Street where they ventured into tobacco manufacture - in fact it was in the cellar of the Nun Street shop that Golden Brown Twist, destined to become a leading popular brand of pipe tobacco in the North of England, was first made.
In due time, they built up a sizeable market.
But their partnership dissolved in 1885.
Robert Sinclair kept going and moved again to larger premises, on Blenheim Street in 1914.
A major event occurred in February 1913 when the Robert Sinclair Tobacco Company, hired the services of Bentfield C. Hucks to deliver a new brand of tobacco in special souvenir tins from the Newcastle Town Moor to the surrounding area including Blyth and Seaham. Hucks, an aviator who had participated in the 1911 Daily Mail air race flew his Bleriot monoplane powered by a 80hp engine from the Town Moor between 11th and 18th February.

A stamp printed in deep green commemorating the event was produced showing Hucks in his aeroplane with the words "First Aerial Delivery" above the picture and "By the Robert Sinclair Tobacco Co. Ltd., Newcastle-on-Tyne, Feb. 1913" below.

QNeejfZ.jpg

Z7eWKwd.jpg

F1BXEgT.jpg

In 1931, a controlling interest was acquired in Robert Sinclair Ltd. by Imperial, who characterized Robt. Sinclair as "a Newcastle upon Tyne firm who were then tobacco wholesalers in a big way and tobacco manufacturers in a small way, in the North East."
Tobacco manufacturing still continued under the brand name, and the wholesaling side was developed with expansion into Scotland.
In 1953, Robt. Sinclair discontinued production and went exclusively into wholesaling.
The former brands were transferred to Ogden's of Liverpool for production from that point on.
Imperial controlled or had major interests in multiple tobacco retailers or wholesalers asround that time - Finlay & Co., Bewlay, Collis Distributors Ltd., and Robt. Sinclair - the latter two were merged at some later point to become wholesale distributors, Sinclair Collis.
Sir Robert Sinclair's son, Robert John Sinclair became Chairman of that enormous conglomerate Imperial Tobacco from 1947 to 1959.
This document sheds a little light on how vast Imperial was,

(statement concerning the monopolies commission report on the tobacco industry)

http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/action/document/page?tid=qme90a99

&

a more in-depth historical overview here:

http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/action/document/page?tid=jzm24a99
The Sinclair Building, which is located on Blenheim Street around the corner from Blenheim House, is the original home of the company. It was built in 1913, and is a four story brick warehouse and factory with a stone cornice and roof top railings.
Scant examples of tins survive, but here's a few.

GTYQiYB.jpg

XZLfa7x.jpg

q7c135D.jpg

PPLiwAr.jpg

eAcSqLk.jpg

N2V2AHi.jpg

QLe7dSc.jpg

hk5jt95.jpg

1VgJiP9.jpg

YXJzIHq.jpg

TSWmZOL.jpg

PyCzpj4.jpg

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@Troy, I have missed you! You are PEERLESS - nobody does this stuff better, or even comes close!! You should write and illustrate a book. I would pay fifty times what I paid for Jesse's facsimile Barling catalogue, and that was well worth the money.
BTW, I've enjoyed a twosome, even a threesome but have never experienced a FOURSOME - YOU DOG!!!!!

May 31, 2012
Flaky, thanks mang, I'd love to do a book, but it'll never materialize, it'd be an enormous task, of huge import would be getting interviews and actual smoker reports from the oldtimers who smoked some of this stuff --- I wish there was a more comprehensive survey available, but they ain't.
The best 2 books I've found so far on this topic are:

W.D. & H.O. Wills and the development of the U.K. tobacco industry 1786-1965

by B.W.E. Alford

and

Trust in Tobacco

by Maurice Corina
...any other book suggestions most welcomed!
BTW

LOL

:nana:

a hole in one?

no, three!

par for the course when one wields such mighty iron!

:lol:

Aug 1, 2012
What a good bit of info. Your ability to find and collate this type of knowledge is something I truly envy. Thanks for it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Wow! Thanks for a terrific post! You put a lot of effort in to this for our edification, and we appreciate the thoughtfulness. :clap:

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks so much mrlowercase - a great piece of research and interest. My Dad is from the North West and is old enough - when I asked him - to remember Robert Sinclair tobacco, although he didn't smoke their brands. On a side note, I went to Bristol University which although highly rated now (naturally!), was originally built and funded by the Wills family to educate their scions when they failed to get into Oxbridge. Any number of faux-Oxbridge buildings, halls, and the playing fields are named after the family. I received my degree in the Great Hall of the Wills Memorial Building. Hubris funded by the enormous wealth created by producing tobacco for the Empire and wider World. There's a book in there for you somewhere!
Andy

May 31, 2012
Andy - that's awesome man, thanks!
btw

what brands did your dad smoke?

I'd love to hear any impressions of whatever it was,

the sociological aspect of first-hand reports are something I consider very important, that era is over and nothin' will ever be the same, the generation who actually experienced it are crucial to gain a real understanding of how it all was or what it was like.
Reminiscences from the trueblue oldtimers are invaluable!

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I confess I don't really know what Dad smoked as he tended not to do it around his children and stopped as we got older, but I'll ask him! I'll see what he can remember and let you know. It could be interesting as he fought in Korea and was stationed in Hong Kong, so there should be some exotic/'Empire' blends in there.
Andy

May 31, 2012
Absolutely superb Andy, many thanks brother!
Looking forward to it.
I've seen quite a few pictures of old NAAFI tins,

are those what were available to troops in the theatre?

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I don't know. I imagine so when they were in the field but Hong Kong/Kowloon - although small and limited in the 1940/50s - was a British colony, so should have had access to regular products in local shops. I'll ask the old man next I see him. Curious myself now!
Andy

May 31, 2012
...bouncing around looking for Player's Airman info (hopeless), I came across this interesting tidbit, circa 1945 for forces in India, they had a damn good selection of pipe tobaccos supplied to them!
Pipe Tobacco

06 February 1945
Major Kimball asked the Secretary of State for War whether he will give a list of the standard brands of pipe tobacco issued by the R.A.S.C. and available from the N.A.A.F.I. to the B.L.A.
Sir J. Grigg -

The following brands of tobacco are bought for issue by the R.A.S.C. to the troops with the B.L.A.:
Players Navy Cut Medium.

Wills Capstan Navy Cut Medium.

Ogden's St. Bruno Flake.

Players Navy Mixture Medium.

Ogden's St. Julien.

Wills Westward Ho.

Players Airman Navy Cut.

Ogden's St. Julien Empire Blend.

Bells Three Nuns Empire Blend.

Faulkner's Tom Long

Players Airman Mixture.

Wills E.G. Smoking Mixture.

Two Flakes.

Rich Honeydew.

Craven Empire.

Denver Strips.
The following brands of tobacco are bought by N.A.A.F.I. for sale to troops in the B.L.A.:
State Express Mixture.

Balkan Sobranie.

Capstan Navy Cut and Mixture.

Cut Golden Bar.

Glasgow Mixture.

Gold Block.

Players Navy Cut.

Players Gold Leaf.

Players Mixture.

Players No Name.

St. Bruno.

St. Julien.

Three Nuns.

Three Castles.

Waverley Mixture.

Carreras Craven Mixture.

Carreras Curly Cut.

Bond of Union.

Escudo De Luxe.

John Cotton.

Four Square.

Gallahers Rich Dark Honey Dew

Park Drive.

Bondman.

Skipper.

Murray's Mellow Mixture.

Murray's Erinmore.

Barneys.

Afrikander

Classic Curly Cut.

Royal Seal.

Gainsborough.

Fryers Smoking Mixture.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
These posts are absurdly fun lessons in history. And the pics and old memorabilia are wonderful!

Status
Not open for further replies.