PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I ordered more this morning. I am going to have to live a very long time to smoke all this.
Wish me luck!

Dec 24, 2012
I really enjoyed my first tins of the Va and the VaPer and, with papipeguy's help, I ordered another round of each. I think these are going to be legendary blends.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Gosh! Must acquire some of these! I wonder what the supply will be January 1 when my TAD/PAD allowance kicks back into gear? I hope they're not extinct by then!

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Russ could go on unemployment. When filling out the forms he can explain he can't find a job because the FDA destroyed his livelihood.

Fortunately, blending is actually a small part of my duties with P&C. There's still plenty of work for me to do with writing copy, building web pages, etc.

I really enjoyed my first tins of the Va and the VaPer and, with papipeguy's help, I ordered another round of each. I think these are going to be legendary blends.

Thanks, Peck!

I am sitting on a tin of the English. I need to smoke some to find out if I need to get more

Isn't that a little uncomfortable?

Gosh! Must acquire some of these! I wonder what the supply will be January 1 when my TAD/PAD allowance kicks back into gear? I hope they're not extinct by then!

We should have sufficient quantities to go well into next year.
Russ

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
We should have sufficient quantities to go well into next year.

Russ
Good. The English and VaPer on on the Christmas List I gave to the wife this weekend.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I've been smoking the Acadian blends I made in house when I was developing them. The initial samples that Mark sent were cut wider than the final version. I finally got around to popping a tin of the production version and I really like the way the narrower cut packs, and the tobacco is even smoother with some time in the tin.
Russ

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
This sounds like a lovely concept for a blend. I'll have to give it a try, especially if it is your Swan Song of sorts, Russ!

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
This stuff is awful. Don't any of you get any !I've still gotta get a few more tins. I hate competition. :worship:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The last time that I talked to Mark Ryan, he told me that he won't be making any more. The leaf is very thin, and much of it turned to mush when it was pressed in the Perique process. Mark said the loss rate was too high.
That doesn't mean that he can't be persuaded to make more, if the price is right, but he wasn't inclined to give it a go again.
If you were smart, you bought a lot of it when Mark sold it off in 6 oz. tubs.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Has anyone else experienced moldy Acadian Gold? I bought a tin from pipesandcigars in May of this year and the tobacco was sopping wet and the surface peppered with bright white dots. P&C took care of me with a refund, but on the recommendation of a friend who’d recently spent a week with Mark Ryan learning about Perique processing, I called D&R, who produces and packages Acadian Gold for P&C/RO. I spoke with Gloria, who was very nice and genuinely interested in what I was asking. I asked her if the extensive white deposits I had seen and the funky aromas I was smelling were typical, or possibly mold. Being a very unusual tobacco, I honestly wasn’t sure. She wanted me to send her the tobacco, or maybe just a photo, but unfortunately, I’d already thrown it out. She thought it was possible that it had been packaged too wet. She took my name and address and promised to send me a replacement once the next batch was packaged, even though I’d already received a refund. I think it must’ve slipped her mind, though.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
The alarming amount of "sugars" on the surface and almost overwhelming aroma are typical of this stuff.
Its my understanding, having talked with Russ, that this is not mold.
It smokes lovely and tastes remarkable.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Many of the D&R tubs developed mold.
Lestrout had arranged a humongous group buy of the tubs for the Lehigh Valley Pipe Club and for the Christopher Morley Pipe Club. Once mold started showing up, I did a bit of research and came up with a treatment for the mold. I made up a saturated solution of Calcium Propionate and calculated a .5% application rate for a 6oz tub, dispensed from a spray bottle that I calibrated.
I lost count of how many tubs that I've treated, but it's a lot. A LOT. Not one of those tubs has shown any signs of mold. Yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.