PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
RIP, Bill O'Reilly, I don't know what is stranger, that Fox News canned your show overnight and without warning, the centerpiece of its news federation that built the network over the past 20 years despite being the most popular show they had just because of allegations which Bill firmly denied, or that the girl who played Joanie on Happy Days, Erin Moran, has died suddenly for no apparent reason, at only the age of 56.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
O'Reilly and Fox have already acknowledged paying out $13 million to settle numerous claims
True, Woods, but settling a claim isn't an admission of guilt. It is just settling a claim. Sometimes (lots?) you do that just to get someone off your back. I did hear that someone had documentation that someone (organization?) had stated a deliberate intention to take Bill down. Not long ago, they did the very same thing to one of the big shots on the network! That is why it surprised me. Either a lot of guys there are pompous chauvinists or someone's out to try to destroy the news competition.
Her sad story has been internet click-bait fodder for years.
Not aware of what that was. Your link doesn't work. Not that I was a big fan or anything, just sorry to here it happen at only 56. Can I guess drug use?

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Sarah Palin was on CNN and couldn't say outright that her decision to leave Fox News had nothing to do with her own experience with sexual harassment at the network. I mean, come on...

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
but settling a claim isn't an admission of guilt. It is just settling a claim. Sometimes (lots?) you do that just to get someone off your back.
...right out of the Michael Jackson play book

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Don't worry folks. Old Bill will pop up again somewhere else to deliver his fiery brand of BS. There's always a market for idiocy.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Reality, most of Foxs viewers are Old F#%ks, which I am one. Murdochs puppies are cleaning house because most of his viewership have one foot in the coffin. They re building a new base which doesn't include us. We have met the Enemy and they is us.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Sorry about the bad link. Just Google Erin Moran, that's what I did.
As with most everything, the narrative here with O'Reilly isn't one-dimensional. Yes, there were alot of people who wanted O'Reilly gone. But, in the end, he and Ailes tripped over their own dicks testosterone, so to speak. I'm sorry to see that happen, as they were a counterpoint in a media monoculture. Not a good counterpoint IMHO, they suffer the same ills as the other media news entertainment outlets. Same crap, different consistency.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The news industry is in the toilet. You cannot actively campaign for or against a candidate and then expect credibility when covering the opposite.
It's like reviewing aromatics and in your opening line you say, "I don't like aromatics, but here's my review of one".

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Getting back to Erin Moran, I guess what surprises me is that of the original cast, she was the youngest and they are all still alive except for the dad, Tom Bosley! I still have not seen anything really saying anything bad about Erin except some hint that she might have lived in a trailer park, not that I'm looking and not that I'd be surprised.
Megyn Kelly left, which also cost Fox future revenue.
So did Greta van Sustern. But that was over O'Reilly? Never heard that. Not that I was looking. I liked Greta but not Kelly. I thought Kelly's leaving had something to do with her wanting to get into something else outside the news business. Not that I was following closely.
Sadly, it seems that "harassment" can mean most anything; you can tell a person they have nice hair and rather than it being the compliment it used to be, now someone can claim they felt harassed.
most of his viewership have one foot in the coffin. They re building a new base which doesn't include us.
Perhaps. But as old people die off, others are getting older to replace them. True, they have more and more younger staff, Kennedy, Watters, Tucker, but while I like Tucker, he's kind of a kinder, gentler young O'Reilly, I don't think much of the others. I base my liking someone on the substance they provide, not how old they are. I just wonder, if there is all this sexual harassment going on at Fox, why do they have all these young, pretty girls working there still who seem very happy?
My personal feeling was that O'Reilly brought a comfortable stability to the programming. He was very polished and in general, the network seems more balanced, friendly and less one-sided than some other cable news. But I disagreed with some things O'Reilly would say strongly and could not believe he said them, he seemed an arrogant ass at times who wouldn't let his guests talk and I was getting sick of him being off all the time. And I hated many of his repeat guests, some of which were much too predictable. Ironically, in recent weeks and months, I sometimes found myself thinking that ol' Bill ought to retire and they ought to put Tucker in his slot, and that is just what happened!
Still, part of me will miss Bill and his personal format, and while nothing has been proven, you just can't say that if there is smoke there must be fire because then the opposite would have to be true and there have been too many instances where there were huge bonfires and all the smoke was carefully contained, I think this all goes back to the hold PC has over us, where all you have to do now is accuse someone of something, all of his advertisers were jumping ship out of fear of the backwash of the attack media going after them for supporting his show, and it all came down to dollars--- as it always does.
But there was a lot of good O'Reilly contributed like his books and TV series about the Old West and the Patriots, and Bill helped out a lot of good causes like the Vets. O'Reilly was a loud, abrasive, foul-mouthed guy in his early years who just said what he thought, and there is an irony that in the end due to PC, they fired him for basically the very thing they hired him for--- being controversial and walking to his own beat.
No one should be harassed or threatened (much, but it does happen), but the world is not a nice place and the irony is that years ago when women wanted equality and the ability to get into the game, it now seems that at least with some of them, it is not enough that they merely meet the world head on and fit in, they also want the world to change to suit them.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Probably no way to comment here without it being perceived as political. Heck even if the comment is completely benign, the thought police, word police, micro-aggression police, wrong thinking police, hate speech police of our ever growing "waiting for a reason to be offended" citizenry will be waiting to pounce, claim some sort of psychological injury, and dramatically feign moral outrage, over anything that doesn't fit their soundbite safe-space delicate sensibilities.
In the end we may never know if the allegations lodged against Bill were actually true or if they were actually trumped up charges that were seized upon by his opponents (main stream media, feminazi's, etc...) But it sure seems that there have been an ever-growing increase in such accusations against folks not in HRC's camp.
As to the "fiery brand of BS" comment... I know exactly how you feel, as it relates to abc, cbs, nbc, cnn and all of the other networks and institutions that were more worried about currying favor with the previous administration than they were about reporting real substantive unbiased facts vs opinions.
As to the real reason Bill got the hatchet, I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that his daughter-in-laws are not conservatives or the fact that one of them actually works/ed for the Clinton Foundation.
Again, not intended to be political, just an objective observation.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
BonanzaDriver, feminazi?? I'm not sure you're equipped for a real debate. Ratchet that garbage back with feminist and you'll do better.
The first step to losing any argument, IMHO, is to pull the nazi, ___nut or racist card.

Status
Not open for further replies.