PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
As Far as O'Rielly, he's a scumbag, so it doesn't surprise me. He ran a fair show though, that's better than his competition. He's doing pod cast now, find him there if you like him.
As far as Healthcare, technology cost and it's being improved every day so healthcare will cost a penny. At least We don't have to wait in line for most treatments and surgeries yet. If we go to the VA route nationally, god help us.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm not saying that it's easy to put the genie back in the bottle, Jesse. But I am saying that being unable to afford health care without paying a for-profit corporate entity a large annual bribe is, in large part, a creation of that very industry. Add to it Congress' refusal to even consider tort reform that would help control costs of malpractice insurance and the unfunded liability of the federal government mandating that hospitals treat other countries' citizens, then pass the cost onto paying customers instead of the local consulate of that country.
The health insurance industry is a predatory and pernicious business which has gone through the same evolution as, say, big tobacco. How do we get customers completely dependent on our "product"; hopelessly addicted to where they just can't live without it? Why, manipulate medical costs to the point where people can't afford basic medical services without paying us our bribe first. In my mind, not so much different than fiddling with the chemicals in cigarettes to make them even more addictive.
If you want to take the position that I'd like to watch a bunch of people die because in your mind, "health insurance" equals "health care", then that's fine. I'm a monster. I'm an eminently insensible fool who seeks chaos and wants to watch the world burn. Coming from my viewpoint, however, I'd rather see people be able to afford health care without first being forced to "donate" money to a corporation whose business model is to take premiums and invest it in the markets to make a profit for their "health insurance" corporation.
It's ironic how easily the lefty/99%/"I'm for the little guy" crowd gets manipulated into lining the pockets of market players with the collusion of the federal government. It's probably fallout from when all the hippie dipshits from the '60s and '70s turned their backs on their own idiotic ideals and went back to school to become stockbrokers and lawyers.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Here's a personal note. When my father passed away a year and a half ago, basically in his sleep, the firefighters and ambulance were called. They transported my dad and officially declared him dead about 30 minutes after they left the house. A week later I got the bills. The hospital charged $14,000 and the ambulance charged $3,000. There's your scam. They tried against my wishes to revive him, even though he was entering rigor.
The entire healthcare system is a scam, disguised in feel good clap trap.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
+1 Tim, my Mother died of Lung Cancer, her Dr my first cousin a Surgeon and my Moms God child cared for her. Received a bill, I had signed responsibility, parents had no health insurance. Over 75,000,$ in 1986, A very good friend who I took spec fishing in Cypremort Point, was a retired Brain Surgeon, showed him the bill an asked what is Questionble and what is not. Half the bill was bogus he said after going thru it. I paid 15,000$, very hard at that time raising 3 kids. My best friend was. CEO of a large Hospital in Lafayette La, when drunk he would tell me stories that made me wish he was not my Friend. I worked for everything I've got. Now the govt wants to take it away and give it to the Malingeras, F#^k Em.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Do Not Necessitate" orders usually need to be signed by the ill individual. The next of kin could have all sorts of ulterior motives for wanting a parent dead. Could be sibling disagreements also.
I know many people who can't save enough money for gas, home upkeep, or an earthquake, drought, or hurricanes. These people trust to government and charity. A few dollars in the bank is too attractive to ignore when a big, flat screen is desired. Insurance is a manner of saving money for unforeseen eventualities. You are basically investing in the insurance company and awaiting the big payoff. So, government adjusts to the lowest common denominator becomes the provider for those not saving or spending wisely. I could have covered the costs if necessary. How many others could, or have planned for such?
Similar to wills a lot of people prefer to avoid such discussion and planning for sickness or death. Ignoring such planning and saving is easier than planning for a catastrophic injury or illness. Doing so is admitting such can happen and acknowledging one's fragility. The alternative is to rely on government, relatives, insurance, charity, or fate. I'm not a fan of fate so I have insurance.
High medical costs are a fact of life and there are many culprits. Sable has it pretty well nailed it though. Certain medical specialties pay extremely high malpractice insurance premiums. Certain attorneys make big money specializing in suing doctors. Insurance companies exist to pay shareholders dividends.
My doctor has a second home in Los Vegas and a couple of Italian sports cars in the garage. Super cars do not do well in Alaska. Good for him! He's very good at what he does. He's smart enough to have started a clinic specializing in orthopedics with a number of fine doctors and staff. I can't begrudge him is success. He paid in time and moneys for his training and repaid all student loans. He has a skill I needed and was able to afford. My insurance would have covered the costs but, the Feds insisted on being part of the equation. I paid for that over the years with taxes.
I got a decent ROL (Return On Investment) and will get back more as I age. At least that what I planned for. I may even come out ahead, realizing much more than I invested or loaned to the insurance company or Federal Government.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I agree, Warren. Insurance is great for unforeseen eventualities. Routine health care, however, is not an unforeseen eventuality. Getting hit by a bus and being out of work for six months is an unforeseen eventuality.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a rare celebrity who can maintain their balance when they are contracted for twenty million (or even a measly few million) a year and recognized by masses of the public. Whether it's Bill Cosby, Bill O'Reilly, or whoever. People just lose track. If you're that valuable, why can't you live out your sex fantasies in your off hours? Or during work hours, or anytime? O'Reilly's misbehaviors are merely alleged, but the very high power legal staff looked at the evidence and decided to settle. I don't know anything, but that gives me a pretty good suspicion.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Warren, I had a DNR for my dad. It was legal and proper, but I wasn't holding it when the fire department arrived. So anyone with a DNR needs it framed and hanging on the wall in case it's needed. Which is bulshit. Utter bullshit.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have a Medicalert-style DNR bracelet somewhere, but ironically do not wear it because wearing jewelry around moving machinery is an excellent way to get injured.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
And, if you are an asshole, or know of someone in your circle who is an asshole, make sure they are an organ donor...
Organ Donor!
Sorry, I just wanted in on this before it gets shut down and this seemed at least in the same arena of thought.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Not yet. I'm at work, so I usually save the video thing for when I go home. It's usually louder than just reading forum posts!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My medical/dental pays for an annual physical and all routine medical costs, stitches, eye exams, sprains, flu shots, fillings, dental surgery, etc. The daughter was covered until she graduated college. It's a great plan and not inexpensive, great peace of mind though. A bit of cancer or another surgery and I do believe I'll be ahead of the game.
Absolutely right ash. You should have the DNR on file with emergency services and the hospital. Towards the end of my wife's cancer battle we filed the notice with all the pertinent agencies, specifically her doctor of record. I kept a copy in my wallet.

We've lost members because of healthcare discussions on here, and this one skates between politics, political pundits, healthcare, and... there are so many other places to discuss this stuff, where people want to discuss it. It's not that we hate these things, but that we just don't want to drag that stuff over here in our nice clean pipe smoking forums.

Rules are rules...

Status
Not open for further replies.