PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch11

Lurker
Nov 18, 2018
Man, my wife and I just finished a great bottle of french wine and im sitting in my garage with a glass of scotch enjoying a bowl of nightcap before bed. Does life get any better than this? As much as i hate whats become of the Dunhill name, i will miss this blend tremendously!

mitch11

Lurker
Nov 18, 2018
come to think of it, maybe life would be better if i could smoke in the living room with my wife and the dogs! haha

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
If the information I received recently from an individual from a well known tobacco blender, and someone that's been in the business of tobacco for a while; you'll see the same Dunhill recipes in 2019. Just a different name and different tin art, but still blended by STG. Just need to cross our fingers that it happens.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Better than Nightcap?
Any Peretti latakia mix (Omega, Tashkent)
London 1000 by Dan tobacco. Old Ironsides from Dan as well.
Black Mallory from Rattray.
Any of the Hearth and Home big ones (Black House comes to mind).
Pease Abingdon, Westminster, etc
Nightcap's Nightcap, but there's no shortage of great, huge, latakias out there.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Being 69 i have more Nightcap and Royal Yacht then my grandkids will be able to finish. Over the past few years took advantage of the buy two get third free or the buy x and get one sales. I figure my average cost around $8 a tin.

mitch11

Lurker
Nov 18, 2018
i realize there are plenty of great blends out there but Nightcap will always have a special place for me. It was the first non-aro blend i tried and made me convert from cigars to pipes. Everything from the tin art, to the tin note to the smoke is perfect imho.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
In terms of so-called English blends, right now I seem to be preferring Ashton's Artisan blend to Nightcap. I need to get some more of this stuff when I next can. It's not the same as Nightcap but it's more to my taste.
That being said, branching out from English, I'll take SPC PP SR or Dreams of Kaddath any day over Nightcap but that's almost comparing apples to oranges.

bradical

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2018
I remember a reviewer years ago describing smoking Nightcap as being like "balm of heaven to the sores of a desert leper". That has always stuck with me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think metalheady' is onto something. Whether by financial transaction or just imitation, the best loved Dunhill blends will not disappear, in likelihood.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If the information I received recently from an individual from a well known tobacco blender, and someone that's been in the business of tobacco for a while; you'll see the same Dunhill recipes in 2019. Just a different name and different tin art, but still blended by STG. Just need to cross our fingers that it happens.
And...maybe not. This little tidbit was posted on another forum
Got some news about the McConnell Heritage blends, production has been ceased by a judge in Germany. It seems STG has sold the recipes of the Dunhill blends to K&K, without consent of Dunhill. There's a lawsuit going on about who actually owns the rights to the blend recipes and until this is clear, K&K can't produce any. STG and K&K are probably looking for a loophole to block all Dunhill interference in the matter. Could be a while or maybe the blends will show up made by K&K but under a completly new name/brand.
Rumors abound. There were definite differences between the McConnell offerings and what STG was producing, so I'm not sure how real any of this is.

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
Interesting with the rumors...
That said, each time Nightcap changed production facilities/contractors then the blend changed. Each manufacturer has their own sources of tobacco, sense of quality and processing procedures. When smoked in parallel, difference between a 2004 and a 2006 is distinct. The UK produced tins are not as sharp the Danish stuff.
I don't notice much of a difference when I smoke them "separately."

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Whether or not the Dunhill blends ever come back in some form, now would be the time to explore the myriad other similar blends out there. It’s not like with McClelland where the base constituents simply aren’t readily available any longer. There are probably many blends out there using the same components that were being used in the Dunhill blends.
IMO there are many other blends out there similar, but superior to, the latest incarnation of Dunhill. Finding exact matches for any blend is usually a fool’s errand. Find something that scratches the same itch and cellar it.
Start with the GLP portfolio.

Status
Not open for further replies.