PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thought I would share this little story with you this morning.
I had everything set up yesterday to make some nice ribs. They were brined for 4 hours in a salt/sugar brine, then marinated overnight in a blend of my own home made spice rub. I bake them for 4 hours nice and low in the oven with a pan of water underneath.
Then disaster strikes- the oven won't heat up. The BBQ has no fuel in it, and I don't have time to go out and get some. I can't make these ribs, and I can't refreeze them either.
So I go over to my neighbours house (with whom I enjoy a pipe and scotch with now and again) and offer him up these ribs. His eyes bug out of his head. He said his in laws are coming over and they are having steak. Well now its ribs and steak I say. Remember, 250 for 4 hours neighbor!
I hope they enjoyed them last night! Now back to oven shopping...

cerfer

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2017
I once left the grill on low, indirect heat and forgot about them. Dried up meat and bones were not appreciated.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I once investigated a fire that occurred in an apartment and while doing my thing, I determined the fire came from the stove. I opened the door on the stove and saw rib bones. What kinda freaked me out was that they were beef rib bones, so it actually looked like a human's ribs. Pretty weird for a second. So, don't overcook your ribs, or your neighbor.
I'm glad it worked out for your neighbor. I had a stove go out on Thanksgiving. Luckiky I had more options, so it was a Dutch Oven Thanksgiving.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Then there was the time we invited the friends to supper after we all went to a movie and forgot to plug in the crock pot. Not a good experience.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the condolences guys!
As for the oven, it needed a temperature sensor and that was replaced, but the issue came back. A repairman was called and *of course* it worked fine for him. Basically I could replace the circuit board in there for $900 or just get a new oven. At 10+ years of service it was probably due. Costing me those ribs was the last straw haha!

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
That's a bummer after all of the prep work. Good ribs are one of my favorite things to spend the weekend making.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Aw, MANNNNN!! Straight up, I'm not a huge ribs guy, but the basic problem I DO hugely sympathize with. Sure sorry, brother. :( :(
made by Lucas
Words from a Jaguar owner if ever I saw them! All hail the Prince of Darkness!

:)

B

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I replaced the oven controller in our in-wall a few years ago. $350 controller panel just because of cheap, under-designed ribbon cable. No, you can't replace the ribbon cable itself because you don't have a Smurf-sized solder pencil.
Sorry, end of rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.