PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I received my package today from P&C with several new blends for the trying. On a whim I ordered two oz of the Luxury Bulls Eye Flake. I'm now wishing I'd ordered more! This is my first Virgina Flake and I'm so very hooked. I really enjoy English blends but I may enjoy this even more. The note in the bag was slightly sweet and earthy. I took out two coins, folded in half once and stuffed them loosely into my pipe. The char light was sweet and mellow and I knew that I was in for a really nice smoke. The best way I can describe this smoke is clean and flavorful. The tobacco flavor is even and smooth. The occasional sweet spots as the ember got down into the cavendish centers was nice and I found myself looking forward and hoping that there would be another one left to burn through. This is not a light smoke, but the vit. n is just right, not a head spinner but present. I did find that it could burn hot if I got too excited in my pace. The only down fall or thing that I found that wished was more present was the weight of the smoke. It wasn't a very creamy or heavy smoke but it wasn't lacking altogether. The after taste of this blend is very clean on the pallet. I would recommend this to someone looking to make a switch to the non aromatic blends. I can see myself smoking this one quite often as it hits all the right buttons for me.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Definitely one that smokes well now, but I have about 3oz left that has been jarred for a year and a half and it is just delightful. For the price this baccy pleases.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Luxury Bullseye Flake was not quite my first Va/Per (I bought a couple of ounces of what I think is a McClelland Va/Per in bulk from my local B&M just before a trip to NOLA), but it was my first flake. Lovely stuff - I went through that sample right quick, and I've got 2 more ounces aging in a jar now, while I debate buying one of the 1.5 pound boxes for cellaring...
I tend to think of it as one end of the Va/Per spectrum, with Escudo on the other end. This may be a function of a small sample size (I've had a grand total of 4 Va/Per blends as of yet), but it's definitely heavier on the Virginias, with the peppery sort of Perique flavor as contrasted with the heavier smoke of Escudo.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Yes, LBF is a great blend. Yazamitaz is quite right, it improves with age so next time order extra -- some to smoke right away and some to put away. Of course, the quintessential coin is Escudo and now that you've decided that you like LBF you will need to try some Escudo. Sorry, them's the rules -- you just have to.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
A friend of mine came over this past Saturday to share some LBF with me. First time for me with this blend. A really nice smoke at a great price!

Thanks for sharing!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Good stuff. I tend to find it smokes a bit thin and hay like when it's fresh and a little rounder and smooth when it's got a year or so one it. I've only been smoking 2+ years, but the stuff I stashed early on smokes much better. It's something I can foresee always having around. The bottom of the bowl tends to get a little muted to me, but that might just be on account of the moisture from my puffing. I find myself puffing a lot more since I clench.
On the PS Bulk note....Luxury Flake Navy Flake is a nice tobacco as well. It's more on the citrus end of the Virginia scale in my opinion, but a really nice tobacco.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
LBF is in my current rotation several times a week. I've given up on picking a favorite blend but have settled on ordering mostly flakes, ropes, coins and kakes. Currently rotating LBF, PS Luxury Navy Flake, Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake, S. Gawith St. James Flake and S. Gawith Luxury Navy Flake and the one I like the best is the one that I happen to be smoking. The SG LNF uses Latakia as it should be - seasoning - does so perfectly for my taste.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Brass,
My rotation is VERY similar to yours. I also like Escudo and Solani 633 as my Va Pers and Wessex BCDF and BVF, Klondike Gold, and Vauen #14, just to name a few.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I smoked a bowl tonight, and rubbed it out instead of folding. I didn't find it as enjoyable rubbed out. The sweet spots were much more muted and the front edge of the smoke was a little more harsh. Not a 100% comparison as I also smoked it in a different pipe. But enough of one to know that I think I'll stick with the fold and stuff.

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
Hi everyone, hi texmex,

I really like this one too, and I agree on the aging some for a little while. Even if it's a few months, it mellows somehow and "rounds" the edges of the flavors.

I also noticed what you wrote about the "weight" of the smoke and I think I know what you mean. Give the Luxury Navy Flakes a try. The flavor is a little different, maybe because the Virginias aren't so yellow but a little darker and bolder(correct me?). There's also no Cavendish but I find it just as good (mmmmmmm Perique), only different. The main thing is has that "weight" for me If I'm getting what you mean.

Cosmic Folklore has written lots about how you don't have to puff like a train and make lots of smoke to get the flavor and enjoyment from Virginias and I have silently applauded every one of his posts. The "weightier" smoke seems to help prevent me from pulling so much with my tongue, so no burning, no big clouds, etc. although big clouds are sometimes still a guilty pleasure.

Maybe it has to do with switching from cigarettes to the pipe four years ago (yay!), but it satisfies my need to feel the smoke as well as taste it as it runs up through my mouth, head, nose, and out. Tastes great! More filling!

Status
Not open for further replies.