PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't post a lot of reviews but I'm posting this one because I was very pleasantly surprised.

I purchased a tin a couple of weeks ago. Upon opening, I didn't detect much of a tin note. Even though the tobacco is named "Flake" it is at best, a mix of small flake pieces and broken flake. Arrived quite dry, perfect condition to smoke right out of the tin. Appears to mostly be bright Virginias with perhaps some Red or Dark mixed in.

Nothing fancy about packing, pinched a wad between my fingers and stuff it in the bowl. Due to dryness, was very easy to light. Doesn't take long for this blend to kick in. A bit of earthiness as I have come to expect from C&D Va blends but not as much as previous ones I've smoked. I found this blend to be very sweet. On a scale from 1 to 10, perhaps 8 to 8 1/2 compared to other Va Flakes. More mollasses, sugary sweet than citrus sweet. There was some nice spicy flavors. At the same time, this blend has some rough edges and will nip the tongue a bit unless it is smoked quite slowly. The best comparison I can make is Mac Baren Virginia No 1 but sweeter and spicier (better IMHO). Minimal relights required and it easily burns down to a fine ash.

I believe this blend will age nicely which should soften those sharp edges. I already purchased another pound to cellar. Since that purchase, I have pretty much been smoking this daily which has convinced me to purchase another pound or two. Given the price point, I think this blend is one that Virginia lovers should try. At the same time, this isn't a blend I'd recommend for those who are just wanting to get into Virginia blends or early in their experience with them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a high recommendation. I'm intrigued to see C&D cited for its Virginia blend since I associate them so immediately with burley and burley blends. I say good for them for widening their menu, especially since McClellands is gone.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
That's a high recommendation. I'm intrigued to see C&D cited for its Virginia blend since I associate them so immediately with burley and burley blends. I say good for them for widening their menu, especially since McClellands is gone.

Which is why I posted the review as those were once my thoughts as well. However, the C&D Small Batch Red Virginia, Opening Night and even the Virginia in the Chicago Show Virginia Oriental and Sun Bear have changed my opinion and opened up my mind to C&D Virginia Blends. And I'm happy for that.

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
Which is why I posted the review as those were once my thoughts as well. However, the C&D Small Batch Red Virginia, Opening Night and even the Virginia in the Chicago Show Virginia Oriental and Sun Bear have changed my opinion and opened up my mind to C&D Virginia Blends. And I'm happy for that.
Have you tried Manhattan Afternoon? Great golden Virginia blend. I'm in the process of sampling C&D's Virginia flakes.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
I'm a fan of Opening Night and CRF both, looks like I should try this one too.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Not sure if you’re a Va/Per fan, but C&D Red Carpet uses a very nice Red Virginia. Think Opening Night with Perique. Kinda.

Anyways, it’s one that flies under the radar a bit and is pretty much available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.