PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
So I am half way through a bowl of Pirate Kake in my first reverse calabash pipe. I was very curious about the mechanism, and honestly believed that it was probably not that different. I have to say, it really cools the smoke and evens out the experience. It's not going to be an every day thing, but I like it. Thoughts?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Expect the cooling chamber to get very black. I have one of Missouri Meerschaum's reverse calabashes, and love how it smokes!

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I love RC´s and I hope to add a few more to the collection. I am not convinced about the "cooling" factor but they smoke a lot dryer than normal pipes. The "mellowing" effect is there but most of the time very welcome to me.

velotrain

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2016
Seeing this thread pushed me into trying Dunhill 965 in my HS Studio RC, and it was definitely easier on my aromatic accustomed tongue than it has been in other pipes. However, I still need to learn how to pack it so it lasts longer than 15 minutes . . .
I think what's really needed is a more appropriate term than Reverse Calabash, as there's nothing at all reversed about them. Maybe a period of time to suggest better names, followed by a poll?

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
@velotrain, I definitely agree that the name is a silly misnomer. We should start a thread to rename the reverse calabash.

@chasingembers, thanks for that. I'll keep smoking and see if the flavor begins to increase once it is broken in and the chamber starts to saturate. Something to look forward to.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I'm too lazy to find the thread, but someone actually measured the temp and a reverse calabash is several degrees cooler than a traditional pipe. I think a bigger factor is that the secondary chamber slows the airflow, condenses out the moisture and it smokes drier. I make a lot of RC pipes and it's one of few that I can smoke 4 or 5 bowls back to back and never reach for a cleaner...

Reactions: hyperstar
Status
Not open for further replies.