PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

davem

Might Stick Around
Oct 21, 2018
South Carolina
Hi guys, I'm a returning pipe smoker... enjoyed pipes in my mid 20's... 20 years later I'm back!
Unfortunately I gave away my entire rotation when I "quit"... including a couple of nice Dunhills... but for now I have a few MM Cobs (fortunate since I'm relearning how to pack, light, and smoke again!) and some local tobacco that I'm really enjoying. I have a couple of bids in on eBay right now for estate pipes... gotta build that briar rotation back up when my skill is sufficient to use them again :) I'll likely never have the budget to build a rotation like I had back then, but slow and steady wins the race!
All the blends I smoked seem to be gone now. Placed a "sampler" order of 2 oz each of various tobaccos from Wilke today, both English and Aromatic. I never enjoyed aromatics before, but of the tobaccos I purchased locally I'm enjoying an aromatic the most oddly enough.
If any forum members restore and sell estate pipes or unsmoked estate pipes, please be kind enough to point me in their direction. In the past I found that was the biggest "bang for the buck" I could find in briar.
Oh well, enough of my drivel, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.
Dave

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Welcome back Dave. I let my rotation go at one point too. No regrets. I thought at first you were saying you were coming back from the 20's (wow), but then I read closer. You do find some restored pipes on here every now and again, especially some GBD's. Have fun getting back into the swing of things. Cheers! :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
davem, welcome aboard. Plenty of pipe restorers and some carvers here, historians, tobacco growers professional and amateur, and much more. Quit the pipe when my late wife quit a serious cigarette habit after several tries, but kept my pipes, five or six at the time I think it was. Years after she was gone, I remarried, and when my wife had troubles after hip surgery and was in rehab, I needed a bad habit, but bourbon etc. didn't work with the commutes to the hospital and rehab, so I took up the pipe again. So I have my good old pipes, and too many, but all somewhat treasured, later acquisitions. I think you'll find Forums informative and good sport.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Started back in '91 myself at 17, and have had a pipe in my jaw ever since. Check out Pipestud and Coopersark on eBay for some great quality estate pieces as well as the forum sponsors. Welcome aboard!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I am 70, so I have tried to smoke a pipe, before my 'successful' immersion later in life, and part of that immersion was about getting to 'know' pipes via auction acquisitions.

I have managed to acquire a few unsmoked estate pipes, although, none that are exceptional.

I have yet to smoke a new briar, since taking pipes up in earnest in '14.

(for instance: I have 9, count em, NINE, unsmoked Medico imported briar pipes. 1/2 bent billiards, pots, a bulldog, and straight billiards)

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome back to the hobby and welcome to the forum!
There seems to be a lot of returning pipers lately, and that's a good thing. There are many options to help you rebuild your collection again, as have already been mentioned.
Have fun and ask as many questions as you like!

davem

Might Stick Around
Oct 21, 2018
South Carolina
@saltedplug I have seen you mention quitting several times. I'm trying to kick cigarettes so the pipe is definitely harm reduction for me. I won't say I believe pipe smoking is 100 percent safe, but I do think it's much safer than these dang cigarettes. I also use Swedish Snus, which has proven to be pretty much harmless aside from the nicotine intake. I'm a tobacco fanatic :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.