PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2019
I was reading the thread about inhaling from a pipe and it changing one’s voice. Someone mentioned that you shouldn’t inhale (agreed), but if you wanted to process the smoke further to retrohale.
This confounded me a bit. I’ve smoked a pipe for around 11 years and I almost always retrohale. I thought everyone did.
Am I wrong? Is retrohaling not normally done?

Jan 7, 2019
Wanted to add: on any given draw in of the smoke, I retrohale/puff out, retrohale/puff out, until all the smoke is gone, therefore I can take a ‘clean’ breath if I want without inhaling tobacco smoke (and yes, I know you’re going to inevitably inhale a bit of smoke regardless).
Anyway that one post got me thinking about it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I iterate: There are no written rules which must be adhered to with the pipe. It's a personal action which should give you a satisfactory experience. If you are happy with what you are doing, keep on keeping on!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For those who retrohale, it's what they do, part of their routine and the way they've learned to enjoy their pipe. puff', if it's what you do, it's probably what you'll continue to do. For those who don't, I couldn't recommend it. Why add a wider array of mucosal tissue to your smoke exposure, if you're enjoying your pipe without that?

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
As I sit and ponder your question as I sip on a pipe, I realize it's just something I do without thinking about. Practically each and every sip is at least partially retrohaled, if not entirely.

Jan 7, 2019
I adore the retrohale. To me it completes the taste.
Interesting comments! I find the mouth taste is negligible without an accompanying retrohale.
/shrug
Sniffer cancer? Ugh.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I retrohale (sporadically) when I smoke.
I retrohale (sporadically) when I'm enjoying a scotch.
I retrohale (sporadically) when enjoying a meal.
It's a way to fully enjoy the flavours. Without your olfactory sense, the taste buds in your mouth give you only sweet, salty, bitter, sour, and umami. Everything else is aromas.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I retrohale quite a bit. If I do it slowly the flavors come through wonderfully. If a particular blend does not offer that I probably won't be ordering more.
My 2 cents.

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
I do. Especially with Virginia blends. It helps bring out the subtleties. Burley blends, still do, but not as much.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I retro inhale some of the time. It is definitely harsher on your sinuses, but it does helps fully taste the tobacco.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
yaddy306
Preferred Member

I retrohale (sporadically) when I smoke.
I retrohale (sporadically) when I'm enjoying a scotch.
I retrohale (sporadically) when enjoying a meal.
Doesn't it hurt to blow whisky or food out your nose? :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.