Search on Site

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gmwolford

Preferred Member
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I picked this up about a month ago and haven't had time to work on it. Between the rigors of life and arthritis, it has more or less just been waiting on me. Well, tonight I finished it up; I'd worked on it a bit earlier this week but only a bit. Anyway, for now, here's the before and after photos; there may be a story with it later as to how I got it here. Until then, know that tomorrow it will take its maiden voyage in its new life!

ejames

Preferred Member
Oct 6, 2009
Nice job Greg! You can buy replacement freehand stems direct from the DG factory.

fnord

Preferred Member
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
"How did you fix the hole in the stem?"
No kidding. That's the million dollar question tonight.
Looking forward to hearing your report on the smokeability of a rock solid scrub down.
Fnord

cortezattic

Preferred Member
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm guessing that the stem was shortened and re-fashioned -- and expertly done too! :clap:

Beautiful rescue job, Greg. I also love the basket weave on that pipe rest.

gmwolford

Preferred Member
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Good morning, gents. Ed, I didn't know you could buy freehand replacement stems but am glad to know it now. I'll have to look up their contact info in case I decide to do that.
How did I fix the hole? Easy: I used a coping saw! After cutting off the stem below the hole, I then scored a line with a cut off wheel with my Dremel where I wanted the new button and broke out the needle files. I reshaped the air hole, button, the whole 9-yards. And the small crack that was left, that was too far down to cut off, I used Super Glue to "heal" that one; it's barely noticeable now.
This afternoon I'll see if I can get some clear photos of the the button end.

gmwolford

Preferred Member
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thank you, Cortez; I was writing my reply as you posted your answer. The shorter stem has a good, balanced feel to it. And if you're interested, that pipe stand is on Briar Bid. 8)

gray4lines

Preferred Member
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I honestly thought that was a brand new stem, and Bradley was just pullin' your leg asking how you fixed it. Lol!! great job!

ejames

Preferred Member
Oct 6, 2009
Here's the contact info for DG-- http://www.drgrabow.net/pipecleaner.aspx

I might add that the factory will re-stem just about any Grabow,even many of the pipes made 30-40 years ago. Runs about $10.50 per pipe + a couple of bucks for shipping.

gmwolford

Preferred Member
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thank you folks for the kind words. They are appreciated.
Ed, thanks for the info. I have made a file to start keeping this kind of stuff, as well as hints and whatnot, and am adding it to that. That's not a bad price at all to get one restemmed, IMO.

cmkiefer

Sep 7, 2012
Ontonagon, MI
Love it. I had an identical one I bought in my younger days. In my smoking ignorance I burned it out. These are much classier than what they put out now. Glad to see one being put back into service.

gmwolford

Preferred Member
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thought I'd link to the fuller article and more photos:

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/dr-grabow-restoration-and-stem-repair/

ghost

Preferred Member
May 17, 2012
Great job Greg! I just read the blog post at Reborn Pipes as well. There are so many pipes sitting out there waiting for a fresh start, I hope more of us get into restorations.

gmwolford

Preferred Member
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Tha is guys. It was a challenge but a rewarding one. I can't imagine how one would chew through a stem like that guy did!