PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kohteckhong87

Lurker
Aug 26, 2019
Pardon my complete ignorance on pipes. Acquired this on impluse from an antique market in Dusseldorf. With an event officer helping as translator, the seller seems very short on its history. With perhaps some lost in translation, it is said to be from the 19th century, Meerschuam (claims that it is rare to be of this size, the carved turban is roughly the size of a child's fist.) Fitted with silver (unmarked).
Asking price of €600, closed at €450.
I know I probably had been a fool paying so much but I trusted him and it appealed to my sensibility of halcyon days gone, you can blame watching too much old films.
I humbly hope that anyone here can help identify the more arcane features of this pipe and how it might link to a probable period.
Thank you for looking and I hope you enjoy deducting.
nPYCt1x.jpg
[/url][/img]

kohteckhong87

Lurker
Aug 26, 2019
Pardon my complete ignorance on pipes. Acquired this on impluse from an antique market in Dusseldorf. With an event officer helping as translator, the seller seems very short on its history. With perhaps some lost in translation, it is said to be from the 19th century, Meerschuam (claims that it is rare to be of this size, the carved turban is roughly the size of a child's fist.) Fitted with silver (unmarked).
Asking price of €600, closed at €450.
I know I probably had been a fool paying so much but I trusted him and it appealed to my sensibility of halcyon days gone, you can blame watching too much old films.
I humbly hope that anyone here can help identify the more arcane features of this pipe and how it might link to a probable period.
To my eye, the nylon strings is anachronistic and the bare wood screw portion of the stem looks new to me.
Thank you for looking and I hope you enjoy deducting.
nPYCt1x.jpg
[/url][/img]

lACQNH8.jpg
[/url][/img]

1nSNEYq.jpg
[/url][/img]

kN2F9xm.jpg
[/url][/img]

bMHHa0M.jpg
[/url][/img]

DoWU6X8.jpg
[/url][/img]

7D2ndPp.jpg
[/url][/img]

WsM0QeG.jpg
[/url][/img]

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
It's of the time period indicated and very high quality stone and carving combined,and it is in extraordinary condition. You did rather well.

kohteckhong87

Lurker
Aug 26, 2019
You really think so! That is in someway consoling. I want to enjoy owning some history. What can you tell us about this pipe?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
At a guess I would say its probably Austrian and 19th century. If the cap is silver look for a hall mark as that would give you some idea of the date. The carving is nice and the coloring looks to be from smoking as opposed to some form of staining. Usually they came with a short case that covered the bowl and shank in a wrap around style of configuration, examples of which can be seen on Ebay by searching 'antique meerschaum pipes' or similar search. The fact it has survived with its wooden stem and horn mouth piece is also a very good sign. That I am afraid is the limit of my knowledge so hopefully someone else will chime in.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
What he said. Austrian most likely, perhaps French. The silver work is exquisitely done and probably has a maker's mark in addition to the hallmarks.

kohteckhong87

Lurker
Aug 26, 2019
All your interests and help fill me with delight. I am deeply indebted.

I fear I can detect no hallmarks or maker's mark on the silver.

Status
Not open for further replies.