pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Carter Hall for my "Codger blend"

Dunhill 965 for my English

Capstan Blue for the Virginia

Escudo for the VaPer and

Lane 1Q for the Aromatic
Can't do much better than that list. Good luck with them.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great selection of blends. Make sure you smoke at least 5 bowls of each blend to give them a fair shake. One bowl is not enough to get to know a blend.
On the flakes I would recommend cube cutting them into fairly large chunks and when packing make sure you have some good resistaance before lighting up. You want the feeling of sipping a milk shake, because you will get a cooler smoke with more flavor doing this.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Robwoodall - not sure why you'd call CM a crossover of any kind. It's a classic light English mixture of the type that's been made for a century, and is in fact conceptually similar to Dunhills Early Morning Pipe. You've got a great lineup there, but I would really urge grabbing CM. I cannot think of too many English blends that might be better suited for begging smokers, at least outside of the Frog Morton line....

May 4, 2015
I guess because CM has perique? That doesn't disqualify it from being an English, but maybe didn't want to include it because "representative" example of an English wouldn't include it. I agree though - not really a "crossover."

May 4, 2015
It's probably a closer representation of a "true" English than 965 due to 965's Cavendish, which makes it Scottish to some people's minds, but all are good choices just the same.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just re read this thread and should have posted this before. I would not recommend 965 as your English as it will be too much Latakia for beginners. I would go with London Mixture or Jud's recommendation of Dunhill Standard.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Ooops, I haven't checked this thread in a while.
doctorthoss - I was probably using the wrong term but pipesmokingtom is correct in my thinking. I felt the perique made it not quite as "traditional." I really didn't think about the Cavendish, though. Still, probably close enough for my purpose.
cigrmaster - While I'm sure you are correct, I kind of wanted a Latakia-forward blend, so I could say "smell that? That means it English!" LOL Plus, I really love Latakia, and I'm the one buying! Ha.

chaffers

Lurker
Jun 16, 2015
I'm in a similar position, just restarted my pipe after several years.
Trouble is I never really found the ideal tobacco, which wasn't helped by always buying loose ( with rather generic names) rather than specific brands or types. Hence whilst I know there is a shop 200 miles away which sells loose tobacco I rather like I wouldn't have a clue how to describe it.
I would like to try the extremes, so that I know what a Latakia,a Cavendish and a Perique taste like. I realise I might not like them, they will likely be fairly potent or niche, it is however in the name of education.
Hence any suggestions for the margins which pretty much define the type of tobacco?

May 4, 2015
If you want to try extremes, why not buy an ounce each of straight blending tobacco? That will give you a real clear idea of what you're tasting in a blend.
I've heard of folks doing this. Cheap way to get a quick education on the flavors.

chaffers

Lurker
Jun 16, 2015
That is a good idea...
I wonder whether there is a starter pack somewhere online that facilitates this..

May 4, 2015
Doubt it for small amounts. I mean, we are talking a few bucks an ounce. A twenty dollar bill would get you where you needed to go.

chaffers

Lurker
Jun 16, 2015
Not in the UK. :)
Just ordered an ounce of 8 different types of tobacco ( Latakia, Cavendish, Burley etc) , which came to over £60 ( roughly $90?).
Oh plus postage.
Trouble is over here I think the types stocked in a corner shop or drug store are almost explicitly meant to put you off pipe smoking for good. There is one called Clan which... cannot really be described in polite circles. Suffice to say that your chances of trying some as a beginner without needing skin grafts in your mouth are slim.
After several times being suckered into thinking it was me rather than the tobacco I've always gone for anything that doesn't look at all clan like, hence dark thick and heavy. Would like to broaden my horizons. :)

May 4, 2015
Not in the UK. :)
Well, there's your problem!
1 ounce each/total of 8 oz. - trying a bowl of each straight still leaves you 80 or so bowls-worth to tinker around with. 60 pounds/80 bowls = 3/4 = .75p per smoke. Still a good deal and you'll have a lot of fun creating different mixtures.

chaffers

Lurker
Jun 16, 2015
Place called Gauntley's sells blending Tobaccos.. Only one in the UK I could find which does.
Blending Tobacco Black Cavendish (English) - 25g Loose

Blending Tobacco Burley Cut - 25g Loose

Blending Tobacco Kentucky - 25g Loose

Blending Tobacco Latakia - 25g Loose

Blending Tobacco Perique - 25g Loose

Blending Tobacco Robert McConnel Turkish (Izmir & Samsun) - 25g Loose

Blending Tobacco African Virginia - 25g Loose

Blending Tobacco Black Cavendish (American) - 25g Loose
Is what I ordered...
There seems to be a few places which do sampler packs of various blends.

May 4, 2015
I look forward to your reaction on smoking some of these pure. Particularly the latakia and perique. The Orientals might be a fun experience on their own as well.

chaffers

Lurker
Jun 16, 2015
I assume some of them won't really be smokable, or not enjoyable at least.
Should give me a good idea of which combinations I'd like to try though, and give me the option of adding a bit of this and a bit of that to any blends which don't take my fancy.
The only thing I have in my pipe at the moment is some Top Black Cherry, which could really use something added, if I'm not sure what.
I will have to invest in a tupperware collection too!

Status
Not open for further replies.