PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltydog7

Lurker
Aug 19, 2013
Howdy Folks!
This is for future reference after I have gotten into the pipe hobby and out of curiosity.
There are a ton of different pipes out there and thousands of styles, some are quite beautiful to feast the eyes on. So, I thought it would be rather entertaining and rewarding to make my own pipe. With that said, I searched on eBay for pipe making kits and came across a series of products that gave you a pre-drilled briar block along with an attached stem. I am very excited about doing this, but there is one issue.....I don't like the stem that comes with it. I tried to do a google search on replacement stems; the only useful thing I got was that new stems had to be fitted to the pipe. So, that brings me to my question....does anyone know how to fit and replace a pipe stem to an already existing pipe?
Thanks in advance. Saltydog7

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Try expanding your search a little beyond Ebay. There are several vendors out there that sell the kits you mention, and one of those might have a stem more to your liking. There are also vendors that sell stems and stem-making materials (ebonite/vulcanite rods, acrylic, etc.), as well as books on what to do with said materials... Which pretty much sums up my own n00b knowledge. Good luck!

saltydog7

Lurker
Aug 19, 2013
Thanks guys! I'll definitely look into them. But just out of curiosity, what if I wanted to be a bit more independent in my pipe making and decided on a solid briar block. Would I just fit the block to an existing stem, or would there have to be work done on a blank stem?

Status
Not open for further replies.