PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2019
Newfoundland
Hello all. I started smoking pipes about 2002 for a very short period. Back at it now.

I have this what I think is a Brigham that I broke the stem off in. I am looking to replace it with a short saddle bend stem. This is the measurements I have so far.

Could use some direction on what I am looking at and possibly where to find a replacement stem.

As you can tell I am a total noob.

From what I remember about this pipe it smokes really well and does not get hot in the hand. Just forgot I owned it.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20190923_163128.jpg
    20190923_163128.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20190923_163218.jpg
    20190923_163218.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20190923_163257.jpg
    20190923_163257.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 3

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't mean this smart-assed, but stems aren't like car parts. Even on factory pipes they have to be crafted to match each pipe, so you can't order off by brand and shape. If it's worth it, you could have a pro pipe repairman fit a new stem, for around $30 or higher depending on what you want. Or you could locate some stems and try for a best fit, and do some filing and shaping yourself. Could be a fun project. You can invest a few bucks or some of your time. Either could give you a pleasing result.

Reactions: TheWhale13
Sep 21, 2019
Newfoundland
I don't mean this smart-assed, but stems aren't like car parts. Even on factory pipes they have to be crafted to match each pipe, so you can't order off by brand and shape. If it's worth it, you could have a pro pipe repairman fit a new stem, for around $30 or higher depending on what you want. Or you could locate some stems and try for a best fit, and do some filing and shaping yourself. Could be a fun project. You can invest a few bucks or some of your time. Either could give you a pleasing result.

I appreciate the upfrontness. Here in Newfoundland we are pretty isolated (no pipe shops) so anything I do would have to be ordered online.

From what I have seen so far the stems are classified by either 3mm, 6mm or 9mm. The part I am confused on is what I have in front of me and it the mm reference is talking about the inner diameter of the stem?

I wouldn't mind fitting the stem by hand. I used to work as an engine builder and did a lot of hand fitting parts.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I would purchase a caliper, digital or analog, to get a better measurement. Then like MSO said, file away or get a pro to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.