PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Hi friends,
I've searched the forum and the internet but wasn't able to find a retailer who'd sell Brigham pipe replacement stems? I recently acquired a number of estate Brighams that I would like to restem. The lot appears to be the "classic" pipe series from the shape of the dots on the older stems. Any pointers highly appreciated.
Cheers,
NB

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
Are you in Canada?
What is wrong with the stems that you have? perhaps they can be fixed?
Seles Pipes in Burlington, from what I can tell he is the only guy I know who can do it, I am not sure of his schedule, but he even "pins" the new stem for additional cost.
Email him, he usually takes a couple days to respond.
Seles pipe

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Yep call Stephan Seles he can help you. Great guy, he is with the Canadian Coast Guard though so it might not be a quick turn around depending on where he is deployed.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Hi,
damnyak: yes I'm in Canada (Ottawa). Two of the stems are broken (snapped in half), two stems are completely missing.

piperl12: thanks for the pointer to Stephan Seles!
Anyway - I was actually looking for a way to get some raw Brigham (moulded) stems, and then I'll cut polish trim and fit them to the pipes myself. Not that I'd not trust anyone or pay for the service, but it's part of the fun of restoring old pipes for me ;-)
For example, Pipe Makers Emporium sells a variety of Peterson stems in their raw form and they are lovely. I was wondering if there would be something similar available for Brigham stems. I could buy some generic moulded vulcanite stems and fit them to the tenon, but since Brigham have the Maple Filter system, I'd love to get the appropriate stems with correct internal engineering.
Cheers,
Nic

jdto

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2012
I guess they're the ones with the aluminum tenon? I've heard good things about Seles, but I don't think anyone makes those old stems anymore, so you might have to go with him. If you are looking for a newer replacement, they now use plastic tenons in Brighams Apparently, this is to avoid the situation where the aluminum tenon would crack the shank in certain situations as opposed to the tenon breaking off (ie. sat on the pipe or it got crushed in a bag or something). Replacing the stem/tenon is much more desirable than a cracked shank.

Status
Not open for further replies.