PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Hi
Just received my first estate pipe purchase. Unfortunately the seller forgot to mention a repair made ( on the opposite side of what was shown in the photos )

Since I have zero experience with estates, and i really like this pipe except this, I decide to keep it.

Now, I need as many advices I can get on how to make this look better. And help on how to clean the pipe in general welcome too :)

Here you can see photos, I hope they are clear enough
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/pipmannen/album/picture
Thanks!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
That looks worse than it is.

There are some here that can tell you how to sand that away and refinish it.

But, I don't believe that it will affect the smoking quality of the pipe.

I think that is just a flaw that was hidden when the pipe was made, and revealed itself over a long period of time.

Other than the aesthetic quality, it looks just fine.

Personally I would just hold it in my right hand and keep your thumb over the flaked away area, if you are worried about the looks.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
If you ask me (I know you did'nt, well maybe, since you posted it) if it does not stop you from smoking it I would lightly clean it up and wax over the blemish, it can bring character to a pipe. If it really bothers you then you will need to do some work on it and from what I have seen here you have plenty of experts to work with. With many things in life (i.e. antiques) you can actually detract from the value by repairing.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Since the Seller was not honest in disclosing everything

about the Pipe, I'd send it back & get the $$ back.

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Thank you for the replies. Yes I now considered to keep the pipe like this, it can add some charm. I will just clean it up ( I guess there are plenty of topics here about this ) and try to smoke it, and if it works well, keep it as is for now :)

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
There are many here with more experience than I,....but that looks like a big fill that didn't stay in. I doubt if you can sand down far enough to eliminate the need for a re-filling of the area, and if it's only going to be a daily smoker and not a showpiece you might just refill it as it is and try to wax over it.

Or as Lawrence said, smoke it as is.
Options:

Rustificate and refinish. (tough job)

Remove fill, re-fill and refinish. (Not easy and results won't be perfect)

Re-fill and wax over. (easier but still won't be perfect)

Send it off to be repaired. (might be expensive)

Rub a little stain over it and re-wax it.

Leave it alone and smoke it when nobody's looking.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Ask for your money back. If he doesn't want to do that, then go through the 'Significantly not as described' route.

Don't leave feedback yet and whatever you do, don't attempt any repair yourself. Leave it exactly as you got it.
ps. That is NOT a repair. If it is.... I'm a monkey's Uncle!!!

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
I contacted the seller and got a refound for half of the price. I kind of like this pipe so I still want to keep it. I spent like 10$ plus shipping.
Cleaned it throughly yesterday with burbon and salt ( today it smells like a decent hangover ) and will try to smoke it tonight

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Ten bucks, the price of a pizza,....it may turn out to be a great smoker.
I bought something on ebay that looked absolutely perfect not too long ago,....it looked perfect on account of a "retouched" photo, that is.

Left no feedback and will not buy from that particular store again.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
If you got a five spot back it is a wash . As it will cost you five to send it back .Enjoy the pipe . Mopeds and Fat Chicks are fun to ride as long as your friends dont see you .

Status
Not open for further replies.