PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
I have a Peterson (Christmas pipe, I think) that I purchased new some years back. The pipe has a clear high gloss "piano shine" finish which is now chipping off the briar in random locations. I don't know what the gloss finish is composed of.
I'd like to remove the gloss finish completely. What solvent might best serve this purpose? acetone? shellac thinner? lacquer thinner?
Thanks for any help.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Sounds like a lacquer finish. Toluene will remove it.
I used acetone on my Rossi that had the same issue. It worked great with minimal effort.
OK, thanks, guys. Never heard of Toluene, but an online search suggests that either "Xylol Xylene" is the same thing or very much like it. I have some acetone on hand, so I may try that first.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Toluene and acetone are both very effective but also volatile and toxic, so use them carefully in an extra well-ventilated place, outdoors if possible, and don't spill it around or let it puddle so you'd breathe any more than you have to. They do the job, but are not kind to lungs, livers, kidneys, etc. Just common sense; you don't need a moon suit. Also, of course no smoking. These are highly flammable as you likely know.
Once you have the finish removed, I'd consider just letting the pipe wear naturally, unless it has conspicuous fills or pits. Briar is often beautiful in itself.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Toluene was in testors glue that people in the 60"s used to sniff, like Kenny Rogers song that said "I found my mind in a brown paper bag within....." ?

Knew someone.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Fingernail polish remover is acetone (which makes sense, since most fingernail polish is lacquer) with a bit of 'flavoring'. So, you can use that too, and enjoy a lakeland finish. :D

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Looks like I dis-remembered. Acetone is the best remover, apparently, but there are some with other ingredients. Pretty sure toluene would do the trick, though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoyed building pre-formed plastic model kits for a while, so that Testors glue is a familiar product and smell to me. No wonder I enjoyed making those models so much. Eventually, I started making my own models that I designed and cut from wood, notably a biplane and a pirate flintlock pistol. The pistol had an antiqued copper barrel. I had my model planes suspended from button thread in my room so it looked like they were flying, several suspended from one "clothesline" like thread from wall-to-wall. As a kid, I'd never heard of, and never thought of huffing.

Status
Not open for further replies.