PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Smoking a pipe and remembering that 75 years ago was D Day. Here's to the men that fell, the ones who were wounded physically and psychologically, and the ones who survived. I promise them that I will confront fascism however I can, whenever and wherever I encounter it.

screen-shot-2019-06-06-at-93125-am-600x375.png

overlord.jpg

Normandy-cemetery_papalars_cc.jpg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I was lucky enough to see the landing beaches in Normandy several years ago. Very powerful place. We toured the Canadian Museum there as well, and there was a display of artifacts that were dug up during the construction.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I can't really think of any time after World War 2 that such an invasion has taken place, let alone the mass logistics and courage.

Of course, I am not throwing service members under the bus by saying that they don't and haven't made sacrifices, but I think that D-Day is so well studied and understood that it even resonates with people that have never seen war and has become sort of the epitome of courage and honor.
I have watched Band of Brothers probably about 5 times and am always left with a weird feeling. I suppose some things cannot be explained, just felt.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I’m sharing a story I know to be true. We fought and saved the World from oppression, not by ourselves but with our Allies. My good friends son-in-law was a B2 Bomber Pilot stationed in England, I had met him in the States when he had his first child. When they bombed Gadaffi theMilitary asked for permission for flyovers , they were denied, going around them exhausted the fuel the planes had and flameout occurred coming back home, losing pilots. How soon they forget!

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
On this day, 75 years ago, my father was among those who received this message:
Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!
You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have

striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The

hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you.

In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on

other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war

machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of

Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.
Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well

equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.
But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of

1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats,

in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their

strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home

Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions

of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men.

The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to

Victory!
I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in

battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!
Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great

and noble undertaking.
SIGNED: Dwight D. Eisenhower
Cheers,
Chili

the85boro

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2019
I know my story is not related to D-Day but it is related to WWII. In college while attending Middle Tennessee State University, I was invited by Dr. Derek Frisby to join him and a select group of historians and anthropologists on Peleliu in 2010 in the island nation of Palau for 1 month. It was the location of the fiercest and bloodiest fighting on the smallest area of land between the Japanese forces and US Marines. The entire island is 6 miles long by 2 miles wide and over 13,000 casualties occured there in 77 days of fighting. The heat was on another level. We were in tactical pants for protection against the sharp coral rocks and T shirts. I can not imagaine all the gear the Marines had to carry in heat that routinely peaked 100 degrees and thick humidity. Hell on earth is a proper description. Peleliu is where the infamous painting "The Thousand Yard Stare" was penned and it couldn't be more accurate. We mapped out miles of trails and locations where unexploded ordinance lay to warn future wanderers. I was nicknamed the "cave rat" due to my experience with small arms, explosives and "booby traps." Many of the caves were so wrought with explosives that the floor looked as if it was covered in rocks although it was Japanese knee-mortars and hand grenades 90% of the time.
The human remains I found were documented and both governments notified so they could be exhumed and interred. It was a very moving 30 days to say the least. If any of you know of that battle then you know the ferocity and torment both sides went through. I could go on for hours about this venture and effort to better the island and to map out a battlefield so future generations will never forget the tremendous sacrifices made there by the greatest generation to ever live.
God Bless America. D-Day 06-06-1944. Point Du Hoc

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
He started drafting it in February, John, & it was distributed to the landing force on June 5th. The document itself isn't dated, but there's a color graphic of it here, along with more info.
https://www.archives.gov/historical-docs/todays-doc/?dod-date=606
Bill

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
He started drafting it in February, John, & it was distributed to the landing force on June 5th. The document itself isn't dated, but there's a color graphic of it here, along with more info.
It wasn't dated for several reasons. One is if German spies procured a copy and tip off the high command. The other is that the day of the invasion was moved many times due to weather.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Churchill didn't like the D-Day plan. He was an old military guy. Eisenhower wrote a letter in case of failure taking full responsibility for failure. The soldiers and sailors going ashore knew that there was a high probability of getting killed or maimed. They all knew by then that being in top physical condition, having trained rigorously, and having strong will and great attitude wouldn't save them from lead and high explosives. As in most battles, part of the shrapnel was bone and body parts. A lot of the artillery overflew its target. Going ashore was a sort of suicide with the possibility of reprieve, with months of pitched battle ahead. All in the hands of the angels, as it were.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
It wasn't dated for several reasons. One is if German spies procured a copy and tip off the high command. The other is that the day of the invasion was moved many times
Yup, exactly, druid. The operational window problem was a REAL mess for Ike & his 6 weather guys. What a choice: unacceptable delay, catastrophe, or oh-what-the-hell....
All in the hands of the angels, as it were.
Is true truth that, for sure. There were enough disasters associated with it as it was, & yet it came off effectively. DD tanks foundering, tide problems, Pathfinders landing miles off target, etc., etc., etc.... Sheesh.
B

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

It wasn't dated for several reasons. One is if German spies procured a copy and tip off the high command. The other is that the day of the invasion was moved many times due to weather.
Of course. I did not mean was there a date on the document, but on what date was it distributed.
And, yeah, the date was annoying as hell, being so uncertain. My dad had some tales regarding the logistics in the Navy.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Right, I followed you, complete. :) I just noted it since a lot of people would've expected something like that to have a date on it. I knew the historians & types with operational experience would all know why. :)

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I am the first man in the direct line since we came to America from Ireland in 1750 to not have to fight in a major war. From William Bell who was a private in the revolutionary war (he made 6 and 2/3 dollars a month!) to my father who is a purple heart Vietnam veteran (1st Lieutenant) every single one has put their life on hold and at risk for their country. This includes my grandfather who fought in the European theater in WWII, and passed away at an early age in 1968 to due health complications as a result of his service.
Not a day goes by that I don't remember and acknowledge what a pure miracle it is that I am here today. And I owe every minute of it to the bravery and skill of the men who came before me and fought so that someday, someone like me may be able to live without having to put his life at risk, or take the life of another man, to live in peace in the greatest country in the world. Even more so, I owe it to those who fought beside them, and paid the ultimate price, such as those we should all be remembering today who did so during the Normandy Invasion. Without them, my forefathers would not have survived. Victory may not have been attained. And I very well may not be here today enjoying the privileges of peace that my ancestors have fought for over the last 300 years.
I had the privilege of visiting the Normandy memorial in France many years ago, and I still get shivers when I think about what it was like to stand above that beach and see the endless rows of white crosses. I hope everyone takes a minute today to remember and appreciate the meaning of what these men did for the world. Although only those who were there may truly be able to comprehend that. So, today I have a truly thankful heart, and I raise my glass to those men, to all who serve our country, and especially to their brothers who's story ended today, 75 years ago.
Thank you all! What you have done for me, my family, this country, and the world, will never be forgotten.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I had the honor of visiting Normandy about a week after 9/11. To this day, one of the most moving experiences of my life. It was a drab, cool, windy day with low clouds, with the threat of storm in the air. Much as I imagine it was on that day, 75 years ago. Looking out to sea across the vastness of the sand, the remains of pill boxes and other defenses, the cliffs of Point du Hoc, I cannot put to words the feelings that still come as I think of it. The German's had ever advantage. The fact that D-Day succeeded is an amazing testament to girt, guts, and determination, not to mention some luck or Divine intervention.
May we never forget! Sadly, as the rise of nationalism seems to be growing across the world, I fear that the lessons of WWI and WWII are being lost.
Thank you to all of have served, to help preserve and protect the freedoms we have!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not to distract from D-Day, but my Uncle Dick, Dad's older brother, was at the battle of Tarawa, the first amphibious attack on an island in the Pacific, and the most violent and painful learning curve. He was the skipper of a landing craft that also delivered oil drums for fuel to the beaches. He received a bronze star for figuring out, in a hurry, that with proper timing, the tide would deliver the barrels to the beach without getting them, and everyone involved, blown to pieces. He'd grown up around the water on the shores of Lake Michigan and was nautical-saavy his whole life. He was re-building his tractor engine in his eighties. Lived into his nineties. A survivor indeed.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I would not presume the eloquence of Alaskanpiper but will add that I visited the Normandy beaches and the American Cemetary above them in June of 2000. I don't think that many Americans who visit that hallowed ground can avoid finding tears in their eyes when looking out over the sea of crosses and stars of David there. Most have names inscribed, but the ones which are inscribed “HERE RESTS IN HONORED GLORY A COMRADE IN ARMS KNOWN BUT TO GOD” are perhaps the most poignant.

Status
Not open for further replies.