PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I bought myself a record player a few months ago and only had two records. Well today I bought a Clearance Clearwater record. I listened to it while smoking and my first thought was 'this is how records are supposed to sound'. I have two modern records (from todays artists) and they pale in comparison to older bands. I just don't think our modern music is not meant for this medium.
Also- if you have any recommendations for music to listen to on record. (a little 60's, some 70's, and mostly 80's and on)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Journey, The Rolling Stones, Jimmy Hendrix, and Sly and the Family Stone. Definite musts for vinyl.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The difference in quality of sound, and the differences in the music itself, raises interesting questions. A simpler technology may have been easier to understand and utilize. Current sound systems are so advanced, that though they can make an ordinary soul sound like a pro, the learning curve for a real pro may not equal that of an old vinyl studio sound technician and producer in terms of mastery. So much is done with layering and mixing now, whereas on vinyl, much was still in the hands of the musicians themselves, which gave them a power and control they may no longer have. I'm always struck by how predictable many younger musicians sound, kind of boxed in and ordinary, not quite elevator music, but not surprising or mind-opening. The talent is there, but the vision doesn't arrive so much.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Many modern recordings are done with a digital format in mind as the final product. This has been happening since the CD became common place. So often heavy compression and other digital processing renders the recording somewhat dead acoustically before it is even pressed to the vinyl. The best days of record recording are mostly behind us with some of the best recordings coming out of the golden era of Jazz. Some modern recordings are done well and of those, some are pressed into quality vinyl with little to no compression with an emphasis on sonic quality. Those records tend to be pricey but I fell they are well worth it. Regardless of the band in question though, you will usually find both quality and substandard pressings.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" or most anything by Steely Dan. Both bands were virtuosos of vinyl.
Couldn't agree more, will also throw out Clapton and the Allman Brother's Band as vinyl gods of a bygone era. You don't have to worry about which one of their old albums to pickup, they were all great.
And if you ever run across a copy, Segar's Live Bullet is a must have.

Status
Not open for further replies.