PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Have tried some tobaccos in the aromatic and burley categories, and it is time for virginia. Any suggestions for a new piper?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Orlik Golden Sliced is a favorite beginner Virginia and often stays a staple after that. PS Luxury Navy Flake comes in bulk and is usually found agreeable. You may like some dark fired with your Virginia Perique, and Russ O.'s Fire Storm among others is a good blend to try. My usual advice, buy in small quantities even if you love a blend; your taste will develop and change, and jar what you don't like and try it again in a year. Escudo in tins is an upscale choice, and Amphora Virginia is a pouch tobacco that might appeal. Take it slow; sample around; keep track of what you've tried. Virginia is a mostly refined base for blends, so it may take a while to fully enjoy it. I'm such a burley buff, but a good Virginia blend is a beautiful thing.

Reactions: docrameous

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Orlik Golden Sliced is a favorite beginner Virginia and often stays a staple after that. PS Luxury Navy Flake comes in bulk and is usually found agreeable. You may like some dark fired with your Virginia Perique, and Russ O.'s Fire Storm among others is a good blend to try. My usual advice, buy in small quantities even if you love a blend; your taste will develop and change, and jar what you don't like and try it again in a year. Escudo in tins is an upscale choice, and Amphora Virginia is a pouch tobacco that might appeal. Take it slow; sample around; keep track of what you've tried. Virginia is a mostly refined base for blends, so it may take a while to fully enjoy it. I'm such a burley buff, but a good Virginia blend is a beautiful thing.

All good recommendations so far, representing many of the well-known intro / staple Virginias.

+1 for Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. That one includes some perique so is technically a VA/Per. I really like LNF and it's probably the most-smoked Virginia in my cellar, though take that with a grain of salt because I'm more of an English / Balkan as well as Burley smoker.

If you try some Virginias and enjoy them, then you definitely have to get your hands on some Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake. Hands down my favorite Virginia, and many others would probably agree. It can be hard to find though, and really needs to be thoroughly dried out before smoking because it comes packed very wet.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Can't neglect Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia, as a benchmark:
A blend composed of both air dried and flue cured Virginia tobaccos. HH Pure Virginia is 100% Virginia tobaccos from North America and Africa. Both continents have a high reputation for growing the finest Virginia tobaccos in the world. Like all tobaccos in the HH family this blend has no top flavour and only the absolute necessary casing in order to emphasize the natural tobacco taste. You will experience the natural sweetness and “grassy” taste from the Virginia tobacco.

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
Also, try and get your hands on any of the Rattray (Old Gowrie, Hal O' the Wynd, Marlin Flake, Brown Clunee) offerings, though they may not be straight virginias.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Have tried some tobaccos in the aromatic and burley categories, and it is time for virginia. Any suggestions for a new piper?
I won’t add any more specific tobaccos to the list of great suggestions already mentioned. But I would suggest that for a first foray in Virginia’s you may want to look at ribbon cuts and ready rubbed tobaccos as they are a little easier to pack and dry to your preferred moisture content than flakes and plugs. On the topic of moisture content, as others have suggested, most smokers prefer a much dryer tobacco when smoking Virginia’s. For myself, I sometimes dry out newly opened Virginia’s for 4-6 hours before smoking. After a tin has been open for awhile I while reduce the dry out time. Occasionally I pack a bowl of Virginia 1 or even 2 days before actually smoking it and it will not be too dry, especially with flake and plug Virginia’s. It is certainly possible, but I can not remember ever over drying a Virginia flake.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My B&M let me try some Comoy's Cask #4 today. It is technically a VaPer, but the Perique is very light. Not as light as OGS but very slight and complimentary.

I folded and stuffed it with great success. A very easygoing smoke. Taste was similar to the MacBaren Virginia Flake.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Orlik Golden Sliced got me hooked up to the Virginias. It is easy to handle and gives you an idea of what Virginias can taste although it has a noticeable topping.
This! OGS was my intro into VA’s and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. The toppings really bring out the best in the VA’s so it’s an excellent starting point. From there you’ve got many choices, just start sampling little by little to find out what floats your boat.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
My B&M let me try some Comoy's Cask #4 today. It is technically a VaPer, but the Perique is very light. Not as light as OGS but very slight and complimentary.

I folded and stuffed it with great success. A very easygoing smoke. Taste was similar to the MacBaren Virginia Flake.

View attachment 396
Did they just start carrying that? They certainly didn’t carry it last time I was in there but it’s been a month or two. You’re talking about Habana House, right?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
It was Habana House. He didn't have any on the shelf, but had the sample tin behind the counter. He expects to have it stocked soon.

captaincalabash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Texas
I am a big fan of Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, but for a "just Virginia" experience, try PS 701 Virginia - I had some a while back and remember all the great things about a good Virginia Tobacco plus flavor characteristics that lasted to the very bottom of the bowl unchanged! That reminds me - I need to order more!

Status
Not open for further replies.