Recommend a Burley Blend to an English, Non-Aromatic Smoker...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I've read many good things about MacBaren old dark fired. Is this close to Golden Blend/Golden extra? GB was the favorite tobacco of my dad when he was still smoking pipes. I tried it out of respect for him but didn't quite like it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Cornell & Diehl- Billy Bud

Solani- Aged Burley Flake
Old Dark Fired is a full bodied powerhouse. Not sure of the comparison with Golden Blend, but is a very good tobacco.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
My Favs:
Uhle's Crushed White Burley and Perfection Plug.

Peretti's #52

Solani - Aged Burley Fllake.
It's considered a "drug store blend," but I do like Everton a lot. A pouch made by Orlik I believe. It's a Danish blend perhaps? Lighter and less complex than the other four I mentioned.
Even though Uhle's Crushed White Burly is listed under their aromatics, it's really not an aro.
The Peretti's #52 has a bit of Virginia and "Dubek" mixed in. The addition of a touch of Dubek is appreciated by English smokers I am told.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D does the most variety of burley blends, so study their selections and see what you might like, Billy Budd and Old Joe Krantz among them, but others. See how well you like burley. Their Burley Flake #1 is highly regarded, but after you have established a liking for burley. Also Dark Burley and Big 'n Burley, bulk blends. If you find burley to your liking, there may come a time when you'd like to try the Belgium burley variant Tabac-Manil Semois in thick or medium cut, available from smokingpipes.com among others. 'Seems expensive but ships quite dry, so you get many bowls from a package. But take burley slow and see if you like it, and how you like it.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm still a new smoker and have little experience with Burley.
I did score some GH&Co North Star, a VA/Burley shag. Not super complex, but I like it.
Also from the same company, I really like the Black Irish X and Brown Irish X ropes. They are also VA Burleys.
Read the reviews first. Many find the ropes intolerably strong.
They all should be easy to find over there.
jay-roger.jpg

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
I have really been enjoying Prince Albert lately. It can be a nice break/reset from my english and VaPers.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If you like dark fired leaf, I would investigate some of the Gawith blends mentioned above.
I would like to second the recommendation for Semois, as well as certain C&D blends including Old Joe Krantz.
Prince Albert works fine by me as well.
For a really mellow smoke, Cube Cut Burley is a medium-plus strength blend that you can smoke all day and enjoy. It is free of bite, and relatively sweet, with a nice oatmeal, toast and honey flavor.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Big 'N Burley by C&D is the one I'll buy again first, before Old Joe Krantz or Billy Budd, although, Billy Budd is worth having around.

Now that they're making 3 "flavors" of OJK, I am concerned about confusion along the line of production and delivery.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Footnote: Burley is not universally liked. Some people can't taste it, and other don't like the taste, and others like it only in certain blends, but many like me generally like burley in itself and in blends.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I like the flavor of burley but it has the effect on my tastebuds that it blocks out pretty much anything else. So when I smoke a blend containing burley and other leaves (Va, orientals, latakia, you name it) all I taste is burley which is not an issue since I like it. It just makes some blends rather one dimensional. Also, I tend to get tired of it quickly so it happens that I sometimes empty a going bowl to fill it with something else. But perhaps that's because I haven't found the right blend yet.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
I enjoy burley in almost any way; yet I do have some that I reach for a lot: Tabac Manil Semois, Doblone d'Oro, ABF, OJK, JKP, ODF -- these are all great burley oriented blends. Try small samples of different offerings until a few start to be the "tasty ones" to which you go back again and again. I've found dark fired burley and virginia blends tend to be the tasty ones for me. That said I smoke more Semois and ABF than anything else and they are just straight burleys, albeit very different in taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.