PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Hm. I'm mostly into english and aero blends, though will give almost anything a try. I like what I've read about Louisiana Red so far so I may just give it a try.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
I like St. James flake (VaPer), I find hard to get it to the point of perfect smoking the flakes being almost to thin for a good cube cut so most of the time I end up rubbing it. However whenever it sings it is a wonderful smoke. Also, I need my stomach full before smoking this guy.
Cheers,
David

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I love MacBaren HH Acadian Perique. It isn't "real" Saint James Parrish Perique but is better IMO. I also enjoy LA Red by H&H.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
I recommend Uhle's "Bishop Move," very good and very reasonable.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm primarily a VaPer smoker and it's hard to narrow it down to a few recommends, but here goes:
True VaPers:

Escudo

McClelland Beacon Extra (St James Woods is also good)

GL Pease Fillmore

Hearth and Home Anniversary Kake
Hybrids:

GL Pease Haddo's Delight

Peterson Irish Oak

GL Pease Cairo
English with Perique:

SPC Plum Pudding

Frog Morton on the Bayou

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
VaPer : Peterson Irish Oak & Dunhill DeLuxe Nay Rolls
Oriental: Dunhill Early Morning Pipe

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
+1 for GL Pease Cairo. Its a Va/Oriental with a hint of Perique. Absolutely amazing smoke.
You may also want to try McClelland's Oriental Mixture No. 1. It is a Va/Oriental with touch of latakia. It is divine with 10 years of age on it, but I'm sure its still amazing fresh. Besides, McClelland's tins normally come with a few years of age anyway.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Well... I certainly have a ton of VaPers to choose from... little lacking in the Oriental department so some more recommendations there would be appreciated.
Edit: Looks like I'll most of the recommended blends that I wanted to try are on backorder at P&C. Guess I'll wait a week.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Dunhill London Blend is a good oriental, IMHO. And I recently tried Exotique from Smoker's Haven in Ohio and that was really good stuff!
And a VaPer left out that's available bulk or tinned is AJ's VaPer from H&H

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
OP: were you speaking of oriental blends that DO or DO NOT contain latakia? Either way, here's some stuff I've enjoyed in the past:
W/Lat: (McClelland) Bombay Court, Wilderness, Orient 996, (Smokers' Haven) Exotique Mixture, (Samuel Gawith) Squadron Leader.
Sans Lat: (McClelland) Drama Reserve, Yenidje Supreme.
It's a limited list, but a tasty one.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
I would recommend GL Pease Caravan and McC Coyote Classic. You also might want to try Rattray's Red Rapparee. Another good oriental is PS Turkish blend, Va and Samsun.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
For a great VA/Per, you might consider trying "Captain Bob's Pot O' Gold Mixture" by C & D created by me and the late Craig Tarler of Cornell and Diehl. It is one of my own three-in-series of C&D created with the late Craig Tarler of C&D. If you go to www.tobaccorevirews.com and "Browse Tobaccos" you will see that it is rated "Highly Recommended". Order direct from C&D and tell them that Captain Bob made the recommendation. The other two are "Captain Bob's Blend" and "Captain Bob's Shipmates Blend". All are on www.tobaccoreviews.com. Never hesitate to request these blends from www.pipesandcigars.com. They have all "three" of the series available to them. Below is the "gifted" artwork from Craig Tarler featuring the artwork for the original "Captain Bob's Blend". If you try any of my blends it is important that you know that I do not receive any "royalties" from the sale of my three blends because that is the way I want it to be! It is my way of "giving-back" to the pipe community. You can verify that with Chris Tarler of C&D.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Click on pic to enlarge:

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Placed my order today. Ended up getting Yenidje Supreme and Louisiana Red. Cant wait for them to arrive.

cmontes1

Lurker
Jun 16, 2013
good
06.jpg

07.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.