PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
I have been reading ( and hearing) of pipe tobaccos with cigar leaf in it, and I am really curious to try it. Which tobacco should I go for..? Thanks.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Thanks ! Now I have to find out who ( if anybody) sells those on this side of the globe..McClelland's I suspect might be more likely to find.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I've tried McC Dominican Glory, GLP Robusto and C&D Habana Daydream. Of those, I like Habana Daydream the best.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I smoked Perretti's blend 500 for a lot of years. It's a great blend with cigar leaf. You can buy it by the oz. so you can try it before making a commitment. Enjoy

Ps. Listed under English Tobaccos

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll second Cosmic on CD's Billy Budd. I like it (and Old Joe Krantz without cigar leaf) but I think it's the cigar leaf that sells Billy Budd. It doesn't taste, to me, much like cigars, but it uses the leaf well to expand and deepen the flavor.
Factoid: Did you know that Connecticut is a big cigar leaf tobacco state? Most of us don't associate the Northeast with tobacco crops, but Connecticut is a tobacco state.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hadn't thought of it, but Semois is one of my all-time favorite tobaccos; I can't say blends because it is just one burley variant. I'd never thought of it as being cigar-like, but I certainly see what you mean. A Forums member sent me a sample, and when I raved about it, another member sent me a whole package (he hated it!) and an amazing Ferndown pipe to smoke it in! They're primo parts of my rotations.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Key Largo and Dominican Glory Maduro are the two I like best. KL is a light english while DG Mauro has no lat. Both blends stand alone and aren't gimmicky. KL is a very gentle blend on your tongue. Cigar leaf can really dirty up a pipe so plan on using a few extra cleaners per smoke.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
I would recommend our own NYPC Club Blend, Jack's Shanty, which is a delightful cigar leaf blend, if it were only available!
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/5208/new-york-pipe-club-jacks-shanty
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/73176/nypc-jacks-shanty-cigar-leaf-blend/

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Seems like a lot of you are saying cigar leaf blends don't actually taste much like cigars...? If so that makes me more intrigued about them. What effect does the inclusion of that leaf have instead? I hate cigars but am all for different pipe tastes.

Madura makes a blend more creamy in mouth feel and ups the nicotine dose. It's a heavy oily smoke, dense. But, there are as many different types of cigar leaf as their are pipe leaf, more so.
The reason it doesn't taste the same is that you get your flavor from a cigar leaf wrap touching your lips. In a pipe just doesn't give you the same flavor, but as I said the Semois tastes more like a cigar in your pipe than a real cigar would.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I just find the scent of cigars to be acrid, and on top of that they're just ridiculously expensive per smoke compared to pipe tobacco. I guess it's ironic since my avatar features a cigar. :crazy:

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
C&D Purple Cow. I have to hide my tin of it or I'll run straight through it in a day.
The "maduro leaf" is more the Cuban style and not the darker obscuro most people think of.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Whenever I wanna smoke a cigar leaf in a pipe all I do is find a big ol'e cigar that'll fit my cob and stick it in thar and light'er up!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
McClellend's Dominican Maduro Glory is good stuff, it's more of a Va blend then anything though. It's one of my favorites. C&D's habana daydream is very cigar like. Star of the East by C&D also uses cigar leaf. I find a mixture of 50/50 habana daydream and star of the east is probably the best cigar blend I've tried. Like Cosmic said Semois is probably the most cigar like blend you'll get in a pipe, maybe not a good cigar, but definitely cigar.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I am always amazed when I meet men who smoke pipes and seem to have an aversion to cigars. In my area, this division doesn't exist.
I agree to a point, but there's very different flavors going on in cigars. It seems alot of cigar smokers turn to the pipe but not vice versa necessarily. I do have quite a healthy supply of cigars, but the time involved to smoke a cigar is a good hour usually, something I don't always have. The pipe alot of people it seems like to smoke "crowd pleasers", whereas cigars smell like shit. Cigar smokers, at least the cuban cigar types tend to be kind of douchey, kind of like a penzance/stonehaven type but instead would want to know the bar code on the bag or you'd be smoking counterfeit penzance/estorica, and if you got your penzance/stonehaven at a good price then it's definitely counterfeit "because even if you went to the estorica factory you couldn't get it that cheap, I know a guy who did it." Then they frown at all other types of cigar smokers, as nothing comes close to a cuban. I smoke both, but my pipe definitely sees daily action, the cigars maybe once to twice a month, so I have probably a good 10+ years of cigars aging away. Add to that there's no DGT with a cigar, it just tastes like shit the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.