PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
Cigar smokers, at least the cuban cigar types tend to be kind of douchey,
Wow. Concerned with making sure my cigars actually from Cuba, yeah, but a douche? Never been called that.

butsushin

Lurker
Jul 16, 2015
Redpanda,
give a visit to Yiolla at the Habanos shop next to Starbucks on Griva Digheni, give her a hug and my warmest regards, ask for a light, short Cuban (3-4€), disassemble it, give it some drying time (their humidor really keeps 75-80%) and light up... you will be able whether you really like real cigar taste or not, takes 30 min for you and a few €...

smoking pipe tobaccos made with some cigar leaves is an entirely different venture imho.
ps I hope to share a pipe with you over there in Mid-December

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Butsushin: And I am also eager to see that bulldog you told me about. I had gone over to Yannos's twice and he hadn't finished it.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I like G.L. Pease Key Largo and Robusto, Dominican Glory Maduro, H&H Stogie and Purple Cow. I agree that Purple Cow probably has more detectable cigar qualities than other cigar leaf blends. I'm working my way through a tin of PC now and it commands attention when smoking. It also tingles the nostrils like a cigar when retro-haling.

butsushin

Lurker
Jul 16, 2015
Redpanda

He said to be coming over to Budapest early January so most probably my very long awaited natural bulldog will travel with him...
But let's not hijack the thread: I have tried my cubans in pipe and my 2 cents is that they are better smoked as cigars... this is how they meant to be, no wonder not many you see in Cuba sporting a pipe.....

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Butsushin:
You are probably right about the cigar leaf being best in a cigar, but I am curious anyway. I imagine it will add nicely to the taste of the blend, but I might end up disappointed as it is all in my imagination until now.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
Redpanda, my local tobacconist has a bulk english blend with cigar leaf. Not sure of the brand. Haven't tried it yet, myself. I would be happy send you an ounce if you'd like to try, before you spend money on tins you may not like. I'll be stopping by there in the next couple of days or so. PM me.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Tambolaka tobacco is an extremely strong cigar leaf/burley from Indonesia which is usually available at 4noggins.com, but out-of-stock at this time. One of my favorites which I have only smoked straight, though others smoke it mixed or blended.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I have yet to try any blends with cigar leaf in it but it sounds like I'm missing out on some good blends. I'm going to have to give a couple of those mentioned a try. Billy Budd, Robusto and Tambolaka all sound pretty interesting to me. :puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Cigar leaf is a nice condiment in Billy Budd, which to me has a few flavors including sweet VA and presents as one of the more coarse cut leaf tobacco blends I've seen, but by coarse I don't mean stems...just more intact representations of tobacco leaf than most.

Now, you want a cigar experience in a pipe tobacco? I'd have to say you'll get that with a blend by C&D that doesn't even have cigar leaf in it....Big n' Burley...

...just keep in mind that if you love cigars, putting cigar leaf into a blend does not make the pipe taste like a cigar. It is nothing like a cigar at all. However, blends such as Semois, Tambolaka, or even Dark Flake unscented by GH&co, will give you an experience closer to what smoking a cigar is like. But, the way real cigar leaf works with a blend DOES NOT even come close to all of the fragrant flavors that work within a cigar. So, if you smoke a cigar blend expecting anything like a cigar-like experience, you will be disappointed.
This is why I would never suggest a cigar blend to someone switching over to pipes. I always suggest Semois, Tambolaka, or even Dark Flake unscented, because it will be less likely to disappoint a cigar smoker.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cosmic, are you saying that Semois and Tambolaka have some similar traits? I love Semois but had written off Tambolaka, based on descriptions of people who'd tried it, as pretty coarse and harsh. That's how some people experience Semois. But if Tambolaka is similar to Semois, it might be worth my trying it. I find Semois not strongly reminiscent of a cigar. A cigar is an engineered experience and delivers the taste in a calculated way. A pipe smoker has much more control and partly creates the flavor and burn characteristics. I can enjoy a cigar, but I prefer a pipe.

No, I wouldn't say Semois and Tamboloka are similar in flavor, but if you liked Semois, I would encourage you to try it. They are harsh in the same way, IMO, but the flavors are different.

No, pipes and cigars are different from start to finish, but cigar smokers usually like big flavors from their tobaccos. And, these deliver that is the same way (not same flavor). Cigar leaf gets muted in a pipe. They lose their flavor and potency. I like them in blends, but for the way they add creaminess to the blends, not for any cigar flavor I might anticipate.
I would also add R. McConnell's Pure Caribe to the list. It is a cigar leaf, but it's closer to the big flavor cigar smokers might enjoy in a pipe. The biggest drawback is that it is a shag cut, so pack it tight as heck and smoke it slow. It's maybe above Semois and Tamboloka in harshness though, probably because of the shag cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.