PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I call my concoctions mixes because I don't use stoving, pressure, aging or any other process. I just toss different tobaccos together in a bowl. My favorite basic mix is equal parts quality Virginia and burley, with a healthy pinch of Cavendish. A little Latakia and/or Perique can be added to taste. I don't mix more than a few pipe bowls at a time.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Try this for a really nice pound to age: 10 ounces of 5100 Red Cake, 4 ounces of this Stoved VA, and 2 ounces of McLelland's Blending Perique. If you like a stronger VaPer, by all means, add an ounce or more, and subtract it from the 5100. But, leaving the four ounces of 5105 is a key. Obviously, stoving hastens the sugar development, and yields real aging benefits. I have pounds of this aging at present, in varying strengths of Perique. I recently broke the seal on one of my Mason jars and went through a jar of the above blend that was merely 13 months old, and found it to be marvelous already. In a year or two, it'll be special, I believe. Will it be the next Escudo? Nah... but it will be a far more economical everyday
This is from a Tobacco review for McC's 5105 stoved Va. It sounds good, maybe throw in some burley or some latakia.

Status
Not open for further replies.