PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
I was at the B&m today to pick up a couple tins of OJK and spied a canister of bulk Dunhill Nightcap behind their Vanilla blend. I couldn’t resist. I told him I wanted all of it. He weighed it out to be 1.55oz but had to cram it into a quart sized ziplock. Stuff was as dry as I’ve ever seen tobacco. When I got home, I threw a hydration pack into the bag. I hope it comes back.

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just got my latest order from smokingpipes- only took four days to get here and no customs/duty/taxes applied. I decided that I love Amphora Kentucky Blend so much I want to try the others so I purchased the “sampler pack” of Amphoras and added on a pouch of Original and a pouch of Full Aroma. Also a pouch of Mixture 79.

can’t decide what to open first.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Just got my latest order from smokingpipes- only took four days to get here and no customs/duty/taxes applied. I decided that I love Amphora Kentucky Blend so much I want to try the others so I purchased the “sampler pack” of Amphoras and added on a pouch of Original and a pouch of Full Aroma. Also a pouch of Mixture 79.

can’t decide what to open first.
You’re lucky on the customs. I looked at that Amphora sampler, but was worried about getting hit.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You’re lucky on the customs. I looked at that Amphora sampler, but was worried about getting hit.
I’ve placed something in the area of about 25 orders in the last year and customs has applied full taxes and duty only once. A few other times they’ve applied HST but no duty. I’ve had orders upwards of 5lbs and never smaller than 200g.

I usually pick the fastest postal option and rely on the lack of motivation from those on the government payroll and it seems to work. The way I look at it is to expect the duty and it’s a bonus if it gets through. At this point I also consider that if something does get caught I amortize the duty across all of my purchases and I’ve still saved hundreds of dollars.

On that amphora order alone I calculated I saved more than $260 from what it would cost at a B&M here, so worth the risk by any metric as even if it gets dinged it’s still going to work out cheaper.

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
smokingpipes-
CD Mad Fiddler
CD Billy Budd Blonde
HH Bold Kentucky
Peterson Irish Flake
Davidoff Flake Medallions
PS Luxury Bullseye Flake
SPC Plum Pudding Special Reserve
Sutliff Match Victorian
Sutliff Black Cordial

Watch City Cigar-
Flake Sampler - 1oz each Old dominion, Flake #558, Watch city slices, Noreaster, The churchwarden, Ahabs comfort

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Just had a backorder filled at P&C’s. Got 12 tins of Irish Flake @ $7.15/tin shipped. Couldn’t pass up the price and I think I am done cellaring this one.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

Paul 3.0

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2019
Anderson, SC
Hearth and Home: Fusilier's Ration (I wish beyond wish I could get this in bulk)
Captain Earl's: Nightwatch
Captain Earl's: Ten Russians
Cornell and Diehl: Haunted Bookshop (4oz bulk)
Cornell and Diehl: Pirate Kake (8oz x2)
Gl Pease: Blackpoint
Gl Pease: Stonehenge Flake
Gl Pease: Maltese Falcon
G&H: Bobs Chocolate flake (2x2oz tins)
Dunhill: Ye Olde Sign
Dunhill: Apertif (both are dunhill, old stock from a local b&m)
Esoterica: Margate
Samuel Gawith: Navy Flake
Mac Baren: HH latakia flake

Kinda went crazy last few weeks. Some of these from a local place, other I got from tobaccopipes

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
500g Best Brown
250g St Johns
500g Patriot Flake
500g Carolina Red Flake
250g Wessex Sliced
250g Sir Johns Flake

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
I see that Watch City and Peretti's require a signature for delivery. There's usually nobody home at my place during the day--what happens in that case? Does the local post office hold it for you to come in and sign for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.