PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Has anyone else noticed this?
If not too dry, just drier than previous production?
I started buying Pease blends about two years ago and it seemed there was a consistent moisture content across the board. They were all at or just slightly above what is ideal moisture for me.
I hadn't needed to buy any new tins for a while, but recently when I did, I was immediately struck by the dryness of the tobacco, out of character with what I had come to expect, in tins of Odyssey and Charing Cross for example. These were too dry for me. It reminded me of the tins of White Knight and Blackhouse I got. Too dry and too much dust.
Did I just get a few bum tins or is this the new norm? I know that C&D has moved and has a new head blender so those could be factors.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I bought a LOAD of C&D tobacco in the SPC.com sale this year. It ALL shipped rather dry. Their motto is 'we sell tobacco, not water' and has been for some time. This was true of 1 lb bags, but this is the first I am hearing of dry tins.
I have no problems spritzing up tobacco though and appreciate the extra bowls worth or so I get. =)

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
I like my tobacco DRY too. I open new tins and let them sit out, everyday I'll "fold" the bottom over the top until I gets it all dried out.

To me they wouldn't be 'Bum' tins, I'd welcome them lol, it would save me the time and effort and I'd be able to dig in and enjoy a nice bowl with out (in some cases) a week of wait.
I think this is why I always loved aromatics so much. A well dried out aro compared to a moist one is night and day.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Thanks for the replies, but I wasn't asking about your tobacco moisture preferences.
No one else wants to touch this?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for the replies, but I wasn't asking about your tobacco moisture preferences.
No one else wants to touch this?
Kinda snarky, eh?
It looks like two guys responded and agreed with you, that Pease and C&D tobaccos are shipping dry, at least one person suggests that this is a strategy on the part of the manufacturer (unsubstantiated) and a couple folks have suggested ways to moisten your tobacco.
Here...

I bought a LOAD of C&D tobacco in the SPC.com sale this year. It ALL shipped rather dry.
here...

Less moisture = more tobacco,in the tin. I dry out my tobacco anyway, so Pease's, C&Ds and H&Hs end up just right for me.
Granted, Les' answer requires some interpretation, but he seems to agree with you that tins from C&D (including Pease tins) ship on the dry side.
What else were you looking for?
-- Pat

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
To Cosmic: I want more water because I find the drier tobacco I received to be harsh and lacking in richness and flavor. I realize I can add moisture but as I stated, the tobacco was previously in ready to smoke condition, for me, and I'd rather not have to prepare the tobacco any more than I have to, something that drew me to the Pease blends in the first place.
To pruss: I see how my response could be perceived as snarky, but that was not my intention and I'm just trying to keep the thread on topic and prevent it from veering off into a discussion of individual moisture preferences. There have been many topics addressing people's individual preferences in regard to moisture content and I'm not interested in that. I simply wanted to know if anyone else noticed if these blends were being shipped consistently drier than in previous years.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
And yes, I recognize Wyfbane's reply more or less addressed my question. Thanks Wyfbane!
I was operating on the assumption that Pease and C&D blends are immensely popular around here and more than a few people would chime in with their observations.

To comply, I smoke a lot of GLP, and no, I have not noticed the blends being "dryer" than before. But, it has always been a tad on the dry side in comparison to European blends. And, to keep my personal preference out of the equation, I won't mention that I still have to dry it out more before it is smokable.
Maybe you past experiences with GLP were freakishly wet?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I won't mention my personal preferences, either, but it's rare that a fresh tin or bag doesn't need some drying before it's right for me. YMMV! And it will.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I have noticed that the last few Pease that I have purchased were a bit dry as well. However, my only comparison is really to the tobaccos that I normally smoke, that being MacBaren Vanilla Cream and 7 Seas Royal, along with Skiff Mixture/Squadron Leader. Those, particularly the MacBaren blends, tend to me more on the damper side.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I remember C&D stating their blending tobacco's were sold totally dry because they're intended for blending mainly, but their mixtures are sold at an ideal level of humidity. I also remember GL Pease chiming in on a thread where someone was asking if he loaded his blends with PG because of how wet an open tin was after a year or so still. Then recently on a thread C&D stated they were working on qc regarding chunks of latakia in GL Pease blends. Personally I don't like crispy tobacco either plus it doesn't really age without the moisture present, so I think the OP has some valid points

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I didn't hear "crispy", just that it was drier than before.
And it all has moisture present, so it will age. Perhaps there's a formula for the precise moisture level for optimal aging, but no one here but blenders would know what that is- and it'd vary from type to type.
Have you had tobaccos that didn't age because they were too dry??

GLP's Virginias have always been a tad on the dry side, which is expected since he is using C&D. I think someone had pointed this out to me a while back.

I have had some latakia blends that have been a tad dry. Some blends have been a little damper. Haddos is fairly damp, IMO. But, I've never seen one damper or drier one time and not the next. Never have I seen one bone dry, and always they age well. C&D blends age well also. In comparison to FVF or LTF, yeh, they're drier. But, not too dry IMO.

I just don't see an inconsistency, in my experience with his blends. And that poster that posted a while back about PG turned out to be wrong.

Now, did the OP get some inconsistency between blends? Maybe he got some inconsistency. But, no one has suggested that they are so dry that they wouldn't age well. To the OP, No, I keep a GLP open at almost all times, and I get what I pretty much expect. But, I rarely have gotten a fresh, just processes tins. They usually come with some time on them. Except for the just released blends, like sixpence.
Which blend is it that you notice a wet and dry difference between tins of the same blend, and what are the dates stamped on the bottom of these tins? Just curious.

hedonaut

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2013
I have to wonder about the tin dates, too. Things were changed around when C&D moved a few months back. Moisture content is being tracked more closely than it once was and the new facility provides more a more stable climate. It may be older tins still filtering through the retailers. Uncleblackie, can you tell us the tin dates on them?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Come to think of it, yes, a little drier -- I'm talking specifically about Union Square and Burley Flake #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.