PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reverendsasquatch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Lancaster PA
This past Sunday, on a much-needed family vacation, I was taking my daughters out fishing for a few hours. I left my tobaccy back at the cabin, unfortunately, so I decided to make a stop at a little mountain grocery store and buy some OTC blends. They had all the big names. CH, PA, CB, H&H. I haven't had Prince Albert in well over a decade, so I decided to try that, and some CH, which, to my knowledge, I never smoked.
Now...I hope this doesn't step on anyones toes, but the Prince Albert had like, NO flavor whatsoever. Maybe my taste-buds are shot from VA-Pers or Lat blends, but I couldn't detect anything. It was a cool smoke, but flavorless across the board. Anyone else find this to be true w/ this classic blend? I expected to at least taste some casing.
Now the CH, I could taste at least the casing, which is at least something. The PA? Nothing. Not even cheap tobacco taste!
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Try some of PC's Midtown tub tobaccos blended by Russ O., which are OTC matches. They step up the quality but not the prices. I like the non-aro in the series, Chestnut, after the discontinued Walnut. I think they're all pretty good. I also recently discovered Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic which adds Virginias to the burley and flavors it with three liqueurs, nice.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Maybe your taste buds are fried from all the Va/Per & English blends. Don't give up on Prince Albert it will come around for you. By the way "olkofri" CH is short for Carter Hall.

reverendsasquatch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Lancaster PA
I'm keeping the Prince Albert in my fly fishing pack, which means whenever I fish, it'll get smoked. We'll see what happens! I know it's lasted as long as it has for a reason.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
I haven't smoked PA itself, but I have smoked several ounces of P&C Midtown's Prince Andrew, and it's far from flavorless. As mso489 says, I figured Russ would use better tobacco and charge less. PA isn't supposed to be a strong tobacco by any means, but it shouldn't be flavorless.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Interesting. Prince Albert has suffered many a sling and arrow, but I don't think "flavorless" is one I've heard before.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
If you are used to smoking strong blends, many OTCs just aren't going to satisfy a smoker. I know a few people who smoke a lot of lat-blends who can hardly taste any other type of blend. Latakia can dull the tongue.
I know somebody who has severe sinus problems, and can't taste any blend unless it's a lat-bomb or a highly charged aromatic. It's either what you are used to, or body chemistry or physical impairment that often dictates what blend works for you as much as personal preference.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
In my opinion Latakia does not dull the tongue... at least for me and I hope that others would agree with me. Now I'm speaking for myself here but Latakia, if smoked just before another blend will truly help me taste amazing subtleties of other blends I would have not otherwise tasted, it helps prime my palate and awakens my senses. I think it's a bit harsh to say that Latakia dulls the tongue as we are all so truly different.
As others have suggested. Give the PA a bit more time, try it on another occasion and you could be surprised to find that you pick up on the flavor next time, you may not like the flavor you get but I'm betting you'll eventually taste it. Your palate isn't ruined, you haven't burnt any precious olfactory nerves out by smoking Latakia or other stronger blends.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Hawky: You are entitled to your opinion, but I have seen time and again people make the same observation that I have through their own experiences, and that can't ignored. It's one main reason I change genres from one smoke to another so my palate is always fresh. I'm happy for you that have a different experience.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
This is an interesting anecdote, it's nice that the store had pipe tobacco. the prob with otc's is that there is no nic-hit, and it bites too much before you can smoke enough to get your fill.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
hawky, he said latakia can dull the senses
Uh.... no... he didn’t. He said it can dull the tongue, to which I have already responded but thanks for always trying to interject.
Anything can dull the tongue if used in excess. Profanity dulls the tongue but that doesn’t seem to stop you from using it, pipeman7. :nana:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Idk. Had some 40 year old George Washington the other night, and the nutty Burley had me craving my old favorites. Those old OTC blends are great on a fresh, clean palate. Try CH in a cob. It’s great.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I find Carter Hall best in a cob when fishing. I don't enjoy smoking it in a briar when sitting and relaxing at home, but that may just be my preferences. I'm spoiled by variety, choices, and great quality tobaccos

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
That's what I meant, tongue not senses. But he said Latakia can dull the tongue. and then you said:
I think it's a bit harsh to say that Latakia dulls the tongue as we are all so truly different
haha

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Latakia does render other tobaccos flavorless for me for a few days which is why I only smoke blends now with very little percentage of it. If the concentration is much above ten percent, all blends with that much or more taste exactly the same to me. Too many years smoking lat heavy blends when I started.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
the prob with otc's is that there is no nic-hit, and it bites too much before you can smoke enough to get your fill.
I have noticed something similar. But, often fun for a break, sort of like how Prince Albert goes well with random wandering.
Now I'm speaking for myself here but Latakia, if smoked just before another blend will truly help me taste amazing subtleties of other blends I would have not otherwise tasted, it helps prime my palate and awakens my senses. I think it's a bit harsh to say that Latakia dulls the tongue as we are all so truly different.
It probably does vary with personal biology. I have found that the more strong tastes -- including dark fired -- are used, the less the subtleties come out. So now I just smoke straight Burley every few days to reset my counter.
I enjoyed making "microblends" which were 85% or so Burley, with very small amounts of the condimental tobaccos, as this sharpened my palate...

Status
Not open for further replies.