PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
I recently read an article by a gent named Exile at his blog about reamers, particularly the Savinelli Fitsall...
http://thepipesmoker.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/let-them-eat-cake/#comments
His mention of using a knife finally made me try it out. It changed my life as far as pipe smoking goes. The technique is to lay the knife flat in the bowl with both the blade and back edge touching. From there, all that's needed is a twist of the bowl. Since using a knife, everything else just seems like goofing around. JUST BE CAREFUL!
The knife I'm using is a sheepsfoot blade with the end filed round.
The Savinelli he mentions can be bought for $35 at P&C. I plan to someday buy one of these and file the point off, which can be found at Dick Blick for $8.71:
TriangularBurrScraper.jpg

Here's the reamer I'll be using to zero in on heel cake until then:
CooksReamer.jpg

For an interesting bit about knives, here's a product description of something similar to that used by Tom Eltang:
http://www.finepipes.com/pipes/professional-pipe-knife.html
I'd prefer to just buy a cheap clam knife rather than blow $20 on that, though.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Dudley,

Thanks for describing how to hold the knife blade in the bowl. Hmmm, 40+ yrs. and I'm still learning the basics. The compass-style reamer pictured is very interesting, and looks like something I'd like to have handy. Who makes it, and where can you buy them?

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
The compass-style reamer pictured is very interesting, and looks like something I'd like to have handy. Who makes it, and where can you buy them?
On one side it reads:
Cook's Pipe Reamer

Ansonia Conn.

Made in U.S.A.
The only places I was able to find any pictures online linked to Ebay. I bought mine at a local rinky-dink cigarette outlet for about $5. It's a neat little instrument and is well made. I'm a little surprised that it's easier to find the cheap Yello-Bole Buttner style reamers than Cook's.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
As a matter of fact, here's an auction that if I had the money, I wouldn't mind getting a piece of the action:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-Pipe-Tools-Stems-Cooks-Richards-Sheffield-etc_W0QQitemZ230447827316QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a7c2c974
Getting the Sheffield knife and the Cook's reamer for the right price would be a pretty sweet deal. The brass tool looks like junk, though would be good for a tackle box.
Tools.jpg

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I use my trusty Camillus stockman sheepsfoot blade. Now that Iam bigger , Iam allowed to play with knives . But when I get rich I want one of those cool multi-piece reamer sets .

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I'm sorry, but when I saw reamers, I remembered that loan they floated me from last year, and it's freakin March!

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Might have to try one of the knife reamers...I've decided that the Senior reamer doesn't really work all that well since the chamber of all my pipes seem to have a different shape (and none of them are shaped like the reamer).

dillydallydan

Lurker
Feb 26, 2010
I still have the Sheffield pipe tool I bought 40 years ago when I started smoking. I always run the knife blade round the bowl. I thought that was what it was for and that everyone did that. My dad and grandpa did.
By the way, MY Sheffield pipe tool is way cooler than the one in the picture. It has a plastic grip like a pocket knife rather than being all metal. Actually maybe the all metal ones are the cool ones, but I've been using mine too long to consider any other tool or method.
I hope I haven't been doing it wrong all these years!

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
I still have the Sheffield pipe tool I bought 40 years ago when I started smoking. I always run the knife blade round the bowl. I thought that was what it was for and that everyone did that. My dad and grandpa did.
I've seen comments in different forums that the blade on a Sheffield or any other pipe tool is only for cutting ropes, plugs, or cigars. That always sounded strange to me, and if I ever do get a Sheffield or even one of those fancy Laguiole knives, I'll be using the blade for the express purpose of cake removal.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Dudley I think your clam knife thought makes a ton of sense. Maybe an oyster knife depending on how much flex matters.
I typically see things from a practical standpoint and I don't see how a $20 knife/tool could be much superior to a $5 oyster knife for this application.
Good stuff.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
my friend gave me a 223. Caliber bullet it works good as a reamer. I need to get the gun powder out before it explodes in my face though.
5107.jpg

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
my friend gave me a 223. Caliber bullet it works good as a reamer. I need to get the gun powder out before it explodes in my face though.
Actually you don't need a 223. A .380 smoked to the flash point will ream a pipe nicely. Just make sure the tip is pointed up.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
Old school. I service my bowls after every smoke with a simple pipe nail and bristled pipe cleaner. The coat builds naturally to a nice thickness and never seems to need anything more.

Status
Not open for further replies.