PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Myself, I much preferred old television with imaginative, creative ideas and situations; the comedy sitcoms, drama, etc. Much of what is out there today is written off as reality TV and I don't know who invented the idea but I don't think they asked the viewers. But then, it often seems that the actual viewer paying the cable bill factors very low in programmer's choices anyway. Television is becoming a major rip off.
One other show I really enjoy and highly recommend is the Science Channel's 'Survivorman. Headed by Les Stroud, they take him out and drop him off in a remote area for a week to both survive and do his own filming. I rate the show very highly. The actual crew leaves the area usually AFAIK and comes back in a week to pick him up in most cases, but maybe they keep light tabs just to make sure he is OK. Who can say. Check it out.
In one episode shot in Canyonlands Utah, he got so desperate to find water he ended up drinking a puddle with mouse poop and got very sick for a year. That seems pretty real.
As far as this Bigfoot business is concerned, Stroud has done a few Bigfoot investigations and they are very worthwhile. I'm pretty open-minded to the possibility of Bigfoot and I have to disagree with you Michael, stories of Sasquatch, Yeti, etc., have been around for THOUSANDS of years the world over. There have been tens of thousands of sightings by many credible people. A lot of significant evidence.
You are the first person I know to claim the Patterson–Gimlin film has been admitted a hoax, I have never heard that, including from Patterson himself. As far as I'm concerned, I think the book is still open on Bigfoot and while I realize some of the TV shows are just milking it, many, many people take it very seriously.
Pawn Stars and American Pickers. Still, pretty funny stuff and enjoyable sometimes! That said, I get Me-TV off the air, they still run a lot of the old TV shows from the 50's, 60's and 70's when television was truly grand. TV still has a lot of good stuff going for it, you just have to look a bit to find it.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
They are all scripted! Most are stupid, some are interesting though. Mountain Monsters is very entertaining, but SO fake. Finding Bigfoot I think has good intention, but also scripted. I have never understood why these type of shows always go out in the dark, when all the videos they look at are daytime. Bigfoot I personally think could be something to it, or even certain ocean creatures. The shows that really pissed me off where the Discovery Channels Megalodon and Mermaids shows, Discovery is supposed to be the channel that is real. I miss good old sitcoms.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
da33f3efe129976ff78005992151507f.jpg

Jun 27, 2016
Mitch Hedberg was funny, because now he is dead.
aldecaker
"Cops" still seems to have a pretty realistic feel to it, but that could all be staged, too, for all I know.
"Cops" is unscripted and shot on the fly, it's pretty obvious. Most of those shows are B.S.. Cops, AK State Troopers, and Deadliest Catch come to mind as legit, and even D.C. has admitted to "re-enacting" certain things that the cameras may have missed, such as conversations between captain and crew, etc.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I used to watch Mountain Men back in the day.
Now I'm living that life. Talk about reality!
It's nothing like the tv shows, thank goodness! It's far less dramatic.
If a tv network producer somehow found out about me, and approached me about doing a series... I'd run away as fast as I could. It kinda defeats the purpose of this lifestyle IMO

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Let's not forget Alaskan Bush People! I group of inbreeds live in wilderness because they don't like society, and want to live "off the grid" BUT! I'm going to invite a camera crew to follow my every move for the next couple of years....

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Most of those shows are B.S.. Cops, AK State Troopers,
Deadliest Catch does reenact. Alaska state troopers started as a follow doc and slowly unraveled. The troopers finaly canned it when the producers of the show were bringing in actors from Canada to bait residents into illegal activities and calling the troopers in.

I did some work for Bush People...it's a scripted show and they don't live on the homestead.

Jun 27, 2016
akfilm
Deadliest Catch does reenact.
I mentioned that in my post.
akfilm

Alaska state troopers started as a follow doc and slowly unraveled. The troopers finaly canned it when the producers of the show were bringing in actors from Canada to bait residents into illegal activities and calling the troopers in.
Never heard of that before, supposedly the show was stopped after two troopers were killed in the line of duty and the crew wanted to back away. There's something out there about some other AK reality star claiming to have been targeted by the Troopers or the AK Troopers show, which sounds like more reality-star B.S. to me.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Nope. The Troopers decided that it was not in their best interests to continue the relationship. That's the Commissioner's statement anyway. The Canadian connection is one I've never heard of and it would have made the media, even as a rumor.
The Troopers got into it to help recruiting. No help and it was a staff draining pain in the butt according to a friend who is a trooper.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Alaska reality shows pay my bills...been at ground zero for a lot of the fallout or the build up of the shows. Just because something doesn't make the news doesn't mean it didn't happen. I was there with the Canadians and producer in the bar. The other reality star claiming he was targeted was actually a show I was producing at the time...fun times in the office with that mess...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I liked Antiques Roadshow, Ralph Story's Los Angeles and Huell Howser's California Gold. The rest is good for background moise when I'm working. But I pretty much avoid reality TV. Life's not getting any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.